Thursday, October 27, 2011

The Great God Thor

Green nuclear power coming to Norway

IT'S THURSDAY
asks us to comment on Power

THE GREAT GOD THOR

With his great red beard and his muscled arms
He once ruled in the sky.
His hammer was the thunder
That men heard as he passed by.
The sparks flew from his anvil 
And men saw the lightning flash,
And all the power on earth was there
Amid the roar and crash.
But he was also god of farming,
So the ancients must have seen
A link between  his power
And a world of verdant green.
And still the link continues
Between energy and growth;
And still we hold the old dream dear
That we can have them both.
For Thorium is ours to mine
And to use instead of coal.
Thorium, not uranium,
Can play a useful role.
Named after the great god on high
And found in many places,
It's likely to be cleaner 
Than the black fuels it replaces.
Safer, cleaner energy;
We'll need it more and more.
Once more we'll find we give our thanks
To the power of the great god, Thor.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------


INVISIBLE

It gives one a curious feeling
To sort-of 'disappear',
As I did on a certain evening,
Earlier in the year.
I slipped away for a moment
And when I looked back it seemed
That the happy group I'd been part of
Was something I had dreamed.
The world went on without me,
No-one said 'Where has she gone?',
As though I had never existed,
As though I'd become 'Anon'.
What a salutory lesson
For an ego such as mine!
When I returned to the party
I took an extra gulp of wine!
*


No comments: