Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Pursued


MAGPIE TALES
http://magpietales.blogspot.com/
supplied the prompt

PURSUED!

They call it my 'mental problem', which I find rather strange;
I know that I'm quite normal and I know I'll never change.
Ever since my childhood 'they' have been after me.
Demons, witches, goblins other people never see.
They leer at me in the mirror when I try to brush my hair;
They wait for me at midnight at the bottom of the stair.
They sit there in my coffee cup, laughing in the dregs;
They wait for me by the pathway and brush up against my legs.
One came up through the plug-hole when I had a bath last night.
One was hiding in my hamburger and I couldn't take a bite.
And I know why they've chosen me; they want to take me home;
I used to live in the woods, you know; I used to be a gnome.
But I'm locked in an institution and no-one will let me out,
No matter how I beat the walls and scream and yell and shout.
'They've come for me!' I tell them; and They give me a jab
And I have to return to 'normal', a life that's pale and drab.
I sit here, now, at the table; I feel safe, but quite depressed,
For I know they'll come, the  hobgoblins, the demons and the rest.
They say they'll bring me dinner but I don't much want to eat;
I'm feeling rather drowsy, just lolling in my seat.
Oh yes! Oh no! They're here again! The salt-cellar! See that face!
The pointed chin! The leering eyes! It's all falling into place!
I'll never get away from them! They'll take me, in the end!
Bring me another needle
For that's my only friend.
*

-------------------------------------------------------------


 
HEATED ARGUMENT


I don't much care what the boffins decide.
(Do they dissemble? Has somebody lied?)
Global Warming's rights and wrongs,
Can go back in the box where each belongs.
If Mankind's responsible, that's too bad.
If he's not then we're being 'had'.
Are we heading for a hotter stage?
Are we on the way to a new Ice Age?
It matters not, in the wider scheme;
'Do something about it!' that's the theme!
Think of a world where all can live
Powered by something 'alternative'!
Think how clean, think how pleasant!
Think how great for the poorest peasant!
A world without smog! Please bring it on!
How great when all that filth has gone!
And so, regardless of 'who' and 'why'
I think that all of us should try
To harness that great big ball of fire
That can give all the power that we desire.
It's hanging about up there, right now,
So let's all concentrate on the 'how'!
*

30 comments:

Uma Anandane said...

Your Magpie poem is frightening and the next poem is a beautiful message .Nice!

Unknown said...

You saw them too?
I adored your Magpie!
Brilliantly terrifying

Pat - Arkansas said...

Wonderful Magpie. Scary,but great!

Paul Andrew Russell said...

Very cool Magpie, Brenda. :-)

Unknown said...

Quite a talent there in that Magpie.
It is indeed frightening.
QMM

Kathe W. said...

oh yes- I saw a face also....love your piece even if scary!

Tumblewords: said...

And now I'm looking over my shoulder. :)

cosmos cami said...

Such fun!
You have a serious talent for rhyming.
I love looking for faces in my textured ceiling. Some of them are terrible!

Louise said...

I really enjoy your posts and I very much enjoyed reading this. Dark and funny and sad and lots of stuff that's not easy to pack into one piece!

chiccoreal said...

Dear RR: (Brenda) Perfect cadence, rhythm, wonderful! What a menacing thought to be locked up! I almost feel sorry for the salt monster having to put up with the crazy!

Lyn said...

You're not alone..does that help?Magpie is so primal this time..love it!

Maggie said...

Ooh, shivers.

I guess that's appropriate for both the gnome and global warming.

jabblog said...

Great punchy rhymes with a strong message - excellent!

Other Mary said...

I saw a gargoyle looking back at me!

Helen said...

Wow! Your Magpie poem blew me away!

Maude Lynn said...

Scary Magpie!

Chris G. said...

Oh my, the first is dark, very dark - and the ending, parting in "Bring me another needle
For that's my only friend." is a line that just chills one to the core. Haunting. Resonant. And to both, a beautiful rhythm and rhyme; they flow on splendidly. Global Warming, oh joy...

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Beautifully terrifying!

Monty said...

so enjoyed the couplets; it's becoming lost art :) and the work brought to mind that old literary classic of yellow wallpaper :)

Monty / bum

kolembo said...

Super! Both of them!

Jenne' R. Andrews said...

wow, now these are intense. you walk a hard line there with a few jabs at mental illness, so to speak; some of us on the receiving end of the jabs might feel a little ouchy-- but that's o.k.-- this work has spirit! Brava! xxJenne'

Beachanny said...

Very clever. Very different, and very enjoyable. With a message but without a hammer. Well done. Gay @beachanny

Kavita said...

Your magpie poem was so creative, Brenda.. I am falling in love with your rhymes!! They are always so nicely done...

And the heated argument was an excellent piece.. the light and soft message in which you have brought forth such a serious matter, is really very well done indeed!!

Kudos, my friend..

Shashidhar Sharma said...

Dear Brenda
Your second poem interested me a lot... the first one was something that brought my childhood haunting memories back..

ॐ नमः शिवाय
Om Namah Shivaya
http://shadowdancingwithmind.blogspot.com/2011/02/whispers-night-along-sea.html
Twitter @VerseEveryDay

Anonymous said...

Nice work! The poem does go along great with the face that Tess found in the salt shaker. :o)

Tess Kincaid said...

Oh, no, not the hamburger!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

admirable job.

Martin said...

I enjoyed this, and was beginning to feel a bit pursued, myself, by the end.

Poetry24…where news is the Muse

Kodjo Deynoo said...

frightening but I enjoyed it. Nice done

~T~ said...

Well, if you're a gnome, that would explain a lot...