Thursday, February 17, 2011

A Few Seconds Of Joy



                                                                                                     Hopper

THREE WORD WEDNESDAY
blink kind occasion


A FEW SECONDS OF JOY

I open my eyes in the morning,
I blink at the brand new day.
Such a commonplace occasion,
Ho-hum in every way.
But, as the sun comes streaming,
The thought enters my mind,
That I am a blessed creature
And that life is ineffably kind.
Then I take a glance at the headlines
And I realise I am mistaken.
But, tomorrow, I'll rejoice again,
In those seconds when I awaken.
*
---------------------------------------------------------



A LONG, LONG TIME.
(A parody on the old song 'September Song')

It seems a long, long time from morning till night
When you're only three, evening's out of sight.
And it's a long, long time until you're four
And you just can't wait for it any more.
*
And Christmas is slow!
That magic day!
It's coming, you know,
But far away!
*
But if you wait a while time will go fast!
When you are old it just zips past!
*

10 comments:

Jae Rose said...

Your first piece especially was so full of joy..And that picture..could almost picture waking up in that room and feeling 'blessed'..Jae

Sheilagh Lee said...

Sheilagh Lee said: so true you wake up and see the sun and think you are blessed and then headlines depress you but as humans we try to look at the brightside so every day it might be better.Great poem.

Altonian said...

Yep! Same thing for me - those few blessed moments before you realise that today will be the same as yesterday. Good one, and very apt.

Grandma's Goulash said...

I know what you're saying, although I tend to keep that feeling through most of my day. I'm a bit of an optimist I guess and I avoid headlines and most other forms of news. Ignorance can be bliss. lol

Old Egg said...

Two beautiful rhymes. I know someone who is quite ignorant of the news as she never has it on TV or takes a newspaper. Isn't that sensible!

Kay L. Davies said...

Brenda - I remember "September Song" (although I wasn't around in the 1930s) because it was part of what my father considered my musical education in the early 1950s. A musician himself, he felt he needed to teach me how to listen. He was right. I've never been able to sing or even hum, but I love many kinds of music!
As for the news - I'm one of those optimistic ostriches who doesn't want to know what's really happening. Sooner or later someone will burst my bubble and tell me about climactic and climatic horrors, but I don't look for them.
My contribution to Thursday Theme Song this week is a bit silly, even for me, but it's fun.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Jan n Jer said...

Two great poems and so very true. I often tell my hubby in the morning, we should have a happy news only station to watch while we are waking up with a good cup of coffee.

trisha said...

fantastic pair. loved the second one for its cuteness; the first one is so real.

trisha
http://sharmishthabasu.wordpress.com/2011/02/17/the-occassion/

Tarang Sinha said...

Everyday is a new beginning, indeed. Nice piece of writing:)

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

both poems are great. Thanks for sharing.