Friday, February 25, 2011

The Long Holiday

Not us, but the mood is identical!

BIG TENT POETRY
THE LONG HOLIDAY

I'm well-aware Old Age can be
A time of great adversity,
And I don't want to make a joke
Out of the pain of other folk.
However, I am here to say
Retirement can be a holiday
For those of us who've had the luck
To age, yet not become unstuck.
*
Creaks? We've got them everywhere;
Also thinning or greying hair;
Replacement hips? Replacement knees?
Of course! For items such as these
Are part of the general wear and tear.
Perfect specimens are rare.
Comparing 'symptoms' is quite fun......
'Have you got one?' ......'Yes, I've got one.'
*
Now, if you're under thirty-five,
You'll think 'Why bother to survive
In such a state of sad decay?
These dogs have certainly had their day.
I'd simply take a little pill
If I were heading-off downhill!
Youth is passion, youth is vigour!
I'd hate my stomach to get bigger!'
*
Now, chickadees, turn your tiny brains
To all the many obvious gains!
I've been retired for twenty years
And every year I've raised three cheers!
Imagine a life in which you're free
To turn each day into a spree!
Wake when you like, and keep pursuing
All the things you most like doing!
*
When your turn comes I know you'll say
'Life's an unending holiday!'
*

-----------------------------------------------------


ACCENTUATE THE POSITIVE!

A placid scene of sea and sky.
But surely a giant shark floats by!
Surely I see a monstrous fin!
Against such a creature we cannot win!
In such terrible situations
Concentrate on the cloud formations!
It almost becomes your bounden duty
To fill your mind with surrounding beauty!
*

15 comments:

vivinfrance said...

I'm with you all the way, Rinkly.
Schooldays are supposed to be the happiest days of our lives, but for me it's retirement. Look at me - it's 9 am and I'm luxuriating under the duvet with the laptop perched on top. You can't beat it, creaky bits notwithstanding.

irene said...

Wonderful view of a life at leisure...

Anonymous said...

Love It!!!

Linda said...

A wonderful paean to aging and retirement.

Anonymous said...

What a nice way to look at retirement-- upbeat instead of downbeat. :)

ren powell said...

A few years ago I realized that my grandmother had lived all those years after I was born - through my childhood and adolescence, through my young adulthood, my years of parenting small children and moving toward middle age... she lived those years to and what did she choose to fill them with? Did she change and grow and learn as much during that same duration of time? When my teenage son thinks it is his turn to vote and I should sit back now I think - hey, I will live longer than you have already lived and I will darned if I am going to sit back and shut up and let you drive my life... sorry for the rant you sparked :-)

barbara said...

Cheering instead of moaning, eh?
Onward, wrinkled rhymer!

Tumblewords: said...

Joining your club! Yep. For sure!

Julie Jordan Scott said...

Bravo! Bravo!

Life IS an unending holiday... best to discover this at any age!

My poem this week...

Sulthana said...

This made me smile. Good to see the humour and someone pointing out the positives of ageing :)

Deb said...

what a long, charmed life... enjoyed the entry photo, too ...

Anonymous said...

a long, charmed life! enjoyed the entry photo, too.

Anonymous said...

sounds like a great part of life! how wonderful to be able to do as you choose!

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love this, Rinkly...and them those youngsters know it's just around the corner. Bravo from another happy, active retiree.

Laurie Kolp said...

A true gem... and funny, too!