Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Cachinnation


ABC WEDNESDAY
CACHINNATION!

I have done it, so have you!
It's an easy thing to do!
I've cachinnated I admit,
And made an awful mess of it!
As a schoolgirl, filled with dread,
I was up before the 'Head',
For some dreadful foul misdeed
Unfit for your pure eyes to read!
With lowered eyes I looked demure;
Penitent and prim and pure.
And then I saw Miss Ross disclose
A great big pimple on her nose!
I cachinnated, snorted, sniggered,
My face, with pent-up mirth, disfigured!
I'd like to say that was the last time,
But cachinnating became a pastime!
On countless times since then, I fear,
I've cachinnated loud and clear!
Weddings? There's a situation
Designed for awful cachinnation!
Someone's hat may set me off!
I try to  pretend I have a cough,
But then I catch another's eye
And both of us simply let fly
Snorting, spluttering, cachinnating....
Absolutely devastating!
I can ruin a celebration
With unbounded cachinnation!
*
'What' you say 'Is cachinnation?'
Read below for an explanation.
*
* Laughter at an inappropriate time.
----------------------------------------------------


QUID PRO QUO
(An Acrostic)

Questions arise about this phrase!
Unless they’re answered I’m in a daze!
Is the meaning 'tit-for-tat'?
'Do this for me and I’ll do that?'
*
Perhaps the Latin suits it better
Revealing the meaning in each letter.
Or do we use Latin to be clever?
*
Queries just go on for ever.
Useless to explain the reason
Out goes Latin till next season!
*

11 comments:

Richard Lawry said...

Reminds me of a poem that my Grandpa used to recite. the recurring phrase was "then I laughed as he did - he he he he he - but I laughed at the wrong time".

An Arkies Musings

Kay L. Davies said...

So funny, Brenda. Fortunately, I could laugh out loud, being alone except for the dog, who slept right through it.
And yes, people do get confused about quid pro quo.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sara Katt said...

Meow Brenda!
That was funny. But it was a new word for me. I thought this was because I only am an ordinary house cat with a limited vocabulary. So I asked my two-legged mother if she knew what it meant. No, she did not. It was a new word for her too.
Purrs,
Sara Cat
Sara Cat's ABCWedrd-8-C as in Cheshire Cat

JamieDedes said...

Bravo. Lots of chuckles ...

And I came back to wish you a happy 80th. Saw your comment on Jingle Poetry to that effect.

Happy days, Brenda!

Rhyme on ...

Maude Lynn said...

That first one had me giggling!

Roger Owen Green said...

you were a little troublemaker, weren't you/

ROG, ABCW team

Kat said...

CACHINNATION: You must've left people cross eyed..!!! :-)))))

QUID PRO QUO: Surely it doesn't mean... 'blood for blood'.... 'eye for eye'..!!

ChrisJ said...

What a good word! It's a long time since I had a good cachinnation. My husband sometimes comes out with something that will set us both off. What it is to have a good sense of humor!

photowannabe said...

Terrific new word. Thanks. I'm afraid I do this much too often. Love the verse and your way of explaining it.

Unknown said...

Brenda, great contribution to C day. Your cachinnation causes a cacophony for all around you!
Thank you!
HelenMac, ABC Wednesday Team

Beverley Baird said...

Have never heard that word - sure love your poem about it! Great acrostic as well!