Thursday, February 3, 2011

Belief System


WEDNESDAY POETRY PROMPTS
'belief'

BELIEF SYSTEM

I believe in Belief! For Belief indeed exists.
For Followers of Religion and also Atheists.
I believe that I am here, the proof is irrefutable,
So proclaiming disbelief in me seems really quite unsuitable.
I believe that you exist; you're not some shimmering wraith!
Indeed, believing in you, my friend, requires no leap of faith.
I believe the sun tomorrow will shine up in the sky;
But I merely hope that I will be here, watching it roll by.
'Belief' and 'Hope' are not the same, though some may think them so.
Hoping doesn't make things happen; to 'believe' is not to 'know'.
I believe I'm writing a poem; I just hope it will be read.
But I have neither Belief nor Hope of Eternity when I'm dead!
*

----------------------------------------------------------

 
 
WEIGHTY MATTER!

Bet was at Mascot Airport
Where many have been before
And she chanced to see a weighing machine
Which gave a compelling score.
Not only did it show the weight
But it added information,
Such as the colour of one's hair
And one's future destination.
Bet stood upon the weighing machine
And read the card it spat-out,
Saying, with wonder, to herself
'How did it work that out?'
The card reported 'You are blonde;
Sixty K's you weigh,
And you're off to visit your Mum in Perth.
Goodbye! Have a nice day!'
Bet was completely mystified
For every bit was true!
Feeling duped and sceptical
She decided what to do.
'If I disguise myself' she thought,
'And use the machine again,
I bet it doesn't get it right!
We'll see who's silly then!'
So she bought dark glasses for her eyes,
 And a wig, deep chestnut brown
And she bought new clothes and carried her case
Which really weighed her down.
She went into the Ladies' Room
And made the transformation.
She emerged a totally different Bet
Into the busy station.
Once more she crossed the platform,
And stood on the machine,
Knowing she didn't look like Bet,
More like a Sue or Jean.
She put her coin in the slot,
To see what the card would say,
But when she read this message
She fainted right away!
It said 'You're blonde and sixty Ks!
With a very little brain!
I've made an alteration.....
*
You've just missed your plane!'

*

2 comments:

Geoff Maritz said...

For eternity all you need do is believe. Loved both poems, very cool. Geoff.

Meg said...

I love "Belief System." Very well said!