Sunday, February 20, 2011

Mothers' Meeting



Very nearly time to go;
The lengthening  shadows tell us so.
Womens' gossip, baby-lore,
What has gone and what's in store.
Recipes and chitter-chatter;
How to stop from getting fatter.
In-law problems! Sleepless nights!
How to put the world to rights!
Gardening tips and recipes,
Book suggestions. Mysteries?
Character assassinations!
Husbands' terrible relations!
We could talk all night, although
The lengthening shadows bid us go!
*
-----------------------------------------------------------



TWO CHAIRS
(A reminder of our two Mothers)

They may have gone
But these live on.....
The friendly chat
Of this and that,
The cheerful smile
Lingers awhile,
The happy laughter
Echoes after.
I see them still.
I always will.
No-one is dead
While their name's still said.
*

10 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Ah, one of those fun days with good food and lovely shadows! Terrific captures/words as always, Brenda! Enjoy your weekend!

Sylvia

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

All those women are bathed in light. Is it a case of the supernatural attracting the supernatural?

A PARFAIT DAY

A seeker of shadows one day
Did trip as she went on her way;
She picked herself up
And dipped from a cup
Of shadowy lemon parfait!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Listening Shadows

Cassie said...

The ShadowShot of the mother's picnicing is wonderful! I also loved the poems. My mother is still alive (& kicking!) at 87, but my daddy passed almost 18 years ago and I still "see" him sitting in his armchair when I go to their home in Pennsylvania.

Sue said...

A lovely warm, welcoming, affirming post, with great shadows.

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautiful shadows in both photos, Brenda. Two lovely poems, one fun and one oh-so-poignant.
So many things remind me of my parents. I recently visited my brothers and we spoke of them a lot. Sometimes it's someone saying, "Kay, you sound just like Mom!" but often it's a piece of furniture, sitting there, with that mother-aura around it.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Margaret Gosden said...

Great shadow shots and memory provoking poems. The first still reminiscent of days gone by and the
second, well, to face it, I could be just a chair one day, too! Heaven forbid!

madebygen said...

Cute for shadow shot. You always have a nice post. Happy SSS!

Unknown said...

Brenda, striking photos and laughing and heartfelt words!

Ms. Becky said...

you are extraordinarily gifted.

Beverley Baird said...

I am late getting around!
That second poem really moved me. I still see places where my Mom sat and think of her.
Beautiful shadow shots, beautiful poems!
Have a wonderful week!