Saturday, February 12, 2011

Epiphany

               Dan Earle

WRITERS ISLAND
suggested the prompt.

EPIPHANY

Only one Epiphany in a long life.
I exited a certain door
And I never looked back.
*
It happened sixty-six years ago
And it changed my life.
*
It began with boredom.
Every Sunday was boring,
But one saw it as a sort of punishment
For ones sins.
Doubt?
What was doubt?
*
The pillar of the ancient church
Was next to my pew.
I stroked the thousand year block
Out of boredom.
I know its roughness reminded me
Of a cat's tongue.
*
And, suddenly, out of nowhere,
For I had never heard of disbelief,
Came the thought.
'It's just an ordinary stone.'
*
For most of my fourteen years
Everything pertaining to the Church
Had been Holy.
*
The idea had been instilled in me
By my Preacher father.
And I had believed.
*
Now, suddenly,
In a flash,
I didn't!
*
Instantaneously
I was an Agnostic!
Not that I knew the word.
*
And now that I am old
I still feel exactly the same way.
*
The word 'Epiphany'
Has a religious ring to it.
But not in my case.
*

---------------------------------------------------------


 HALLELUJAH!
Singing is a mystery but a joyous one at that!
Why does it bring such pleasure to us all?
After we've had a concert I feel as though reborn,
My vocal chords have made me ten feet tall!
Adrenalin starts pumping when I hear the opening note
As Lois summons magic from the keys.
And it doesn't matter what we sing, the magic's always there....
The ditties mean as much as melodies.
Why are humans musical? What purpose does it serve
In the evolution of the human race?
Sounds I can understand; they helped the Caveman to survive.
But harmony? That surely had no place!
Bird-song? O.K. that's 'language' of a very special sort,
But human-beings have the gift of speech.
We don't need to communicate by going 'Tralala!'
We're quite adept at chatting each to each!
And yet it seems our vocal chords are structured for the job!
Our brains know when a note's exactly right!
And a discord is quite painful while a mixture of some notes
Can cause an utter transport of delight.
Here we see two ladies who've 'tuned-in' to the bliss
Of standing up and singing with a friend.
They're involved in a great mystery but they don't really care.
They only hope that it will never end!
*

6 comments:

cell phone camera picture said...

Finally, an issue that I am passionate about. I have looked for information of this caliber for the last several hours. Your site is greatly appreciated.

Anonymous said...

Rinkly, these both echo my own experiences, and I enjoyed reading them enormously. Even though I've given up choral singing for health reasons, I have some wonderful memories of that singing bliss. The most vivid of those was singing the Berlioz Requiem in a choir of 400 on the 50th anniversary of the Normandy landings.

Susannah said...

Loved both of these. :-)

flaubert said...

Brenda, I can relate to the first
one completely. I was raised in
a strict Catholic family. We all
went to Parochial schools. I have
been agnostic since leaving home.

Pamela

Gloria said...

I very much enjoyed reading both of these selections. What I wrote for the prompt was neither religious nor autobiographical. And probably the greatest ephiphany of my lifetime was more of self-awareness than any religious nature.
Gloria

Dave King said...

Our brains know when a note's exactly right... Well, yours might, mine doesn't, not when the notes coming from me it doesn't!

Which is the only nit I could find to pick in a delightful, entertaining and inspiring post.