Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Dolly


ABC WEDNESDAY
http://abcwednesday-mrsnesbitt.blogspot.com/
letter 'D'

DOLLY

I'm a fan of Dolly Parton!
 Not the singing or the hair
Not even the curving bosom
Or the business-woman flair.
I became a fan one evening
When I chanced to hear her speak
And I found her personality
Delightfully unique.
She was interviewed on radio
And I listened avidly
As she spoke about her childhood
In the wilds of Tennessee.
One of a dozen children,
'Dirt poor' to use her phrase,
She had the guts to rise and shine
In very many ways.
But forget all her accomplishments,
The things that she can do.....
She was laughing at herself
Throughout the lengthy interview!
That's what endeared her to me!
Not accomplishments, as such,
But a wonderful ability.....
A self-deprecating touch.
'I'm just a cartoon, darling!
With my bosom and my hair!'
What a down-to-earth approach,
Refreshing and so rare!
And when she said she'd been married
For more than forty years,
And that to the same husband,
I nearly shouted out 'Three Cheers!'
The world is full of celebrities
Who simply leave me cold.
Dolly! You've got character!
And that's worth more than gold.
*
------------------------------------------------------------


FOR GRANDMA
Little children in the bath
Like to splash and dunk and laugh.
Invariably, girls and boys
Love to play with plastic toys.
Here's one of my family
Offering me 'a cup of tea'!
Years have passed but still I treasure
This inconsequential pleasure.
This water picture may not be
One of the roaring open sea,
But here's the sweet son of my daughter
Getting himself in tune with water.
*

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

"D" IS for Dolly! I've been a fan of hers for years. Not always on board with her choice of tunes, but what a Down-to-earth, Delightful Dame she is.

Read her autobiography and you'll hear her voice in every word; I'm sure she did not use a ghost writer. Her portrayal of the "painted ladies" in town, and how she wanted to look just like them, is worth the read!

Found you at ABC, and so glad I did! Mine is darker:
http://sharplittlepencil.wordpress.com/2011/02/08/d-is-for-abc-weds/

Peace, Amy

photowannabe said...

All I can say is Awwww to the poem and that sweet picture of your Grandson. What a precious treasure.
I really like your description of Dolly too. People sometimes can't get past the "cartoon" to see the real person.
Great post.

Sylvia K said...

I do agree with you regarding Dolly! And what a great post for the D Day! Hope your week is off to a great start, Brenda! Enjoy!

Sylvia
ABC Team

Caty said...

both of these made my heart smile. Dolly is definitely a genuine character :)

EG CameraGirl said...

I agree with you about Dolly Parton. She's quite a lovely person.

I haven't been offered tea from a bath tub in many years. Thanks for the memories. :)

Anonymous said...

I love Dolly Parton for the same reasons! When I heard her being interviewed she was asked where she got the big hair, and nails etc. She told them that she was in a hairdressers as a young girl, the women in there were all bitching about someone who dressed like that she thought she would rather be the woman they were talking about than any of them!

Richard Lawry said...

You gotta love Dolly!

An Arkies Musings

Rose said...

I love Dolly...I have never met her though I grew up not even two hours from where she lived. I always stop to listen when I hear someone talking to her...so good to hear that voice.

Roger Owen Green said...

bought a Dolly album from c 1999 just this year!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Wanda said...

Oh yes, I love Dolly and you have just given her the tribute she deserves. She's also a very good actress in the movies shes made.

Your grandson is adorable too.

Kat said...

"Dolly" is indeed a lighthouse..!!!

Kay L. Davies said...

Your grandson was a darlin' boy.
And as for Dolly, she doesn't take herself too seriously, and that is a gift. Not the shy, demure act for Dolly, she tells it like it is and laughs at her own foibles. That's as much a gift as singing is. Good for her and good for you!
-- K

Gemma Wiseman said...

Dolly has secured a great act! She keeps the polish and shine for the stage and manages to step down to earth beyond the stage! That is so rare these days among celebrities! And love that photo of your grandson!

Kim, USA said...

The pretty Ms Dolly, likes her song too. Happy Wednesday.
ABC-Wednesday

Sara Katt said...

Meow!
Love your poem about Dolly!
And I agree with you!
Purrs,
Sara Cat,
Sara Cat's ABCWedrd-8-D 'D as in Dog'

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

I love her,
I saw her at Bronson in a show.

cheers.
what a live and creative D take.

Dhemz said...

she's a legend...nice choice! Check out my ABC Wednesday entry too. Thanks! have followed your blog.

ChrisJ said...

I heard her say that on the interview about being a cartoon and I had the same reaction as you. She has her feet firmly planted.