Friday, February 11, 2011

The Clattering


THEME THURSDAY
supplied the prompt

THE CLATTERING

Surely you can hear them,
The footsteps on the stair!
The clattering, terrified footsteps,
The danger lurking there.
The looming figure behind him,
The endless flights below,
The breathing, sharp and rasping,
The speed that is oh so slow.
The eyes fixed on the glimmer,
The little spot of light.
The clattering of footsteps;
The eternity of flight.
The round and round of descending,
The feet that slip and slide.
The nakedness of discovery,
With nowhere left to hide.
Round again and round and round,
And yet again round and round,
And, echoing through the building,
That dreadful clattering sound.
*

-----------------------------------------------


TWIN SOULS!

Two souls with but a single thought, two hearts that beat as one!
I just can't think of anything worse! There wouldn't be any fun!
Just imagine if your spouse thought just the same as you!
You'd just sit around in silence! There'd be nothing else to do!
What would be the point of speech if you knew in advance
Exactly what he was thinking! So much for pure romance!
No! Give me a relationship with differing points of view!
Give me lots of pleasant argument and a good row, maybe two!
I want to be stimulated, not buried in eiderdown!
Give me an 'opposite number' and I can go to town!
As for the 'heartbeat' business, who wants to act as one?
Hearts have different rhythms when all is said and done.
If my partner's out on a five-mile hike and I am sitting at ease
I don't want his palpitations! How ridiculous! Please!
No! I'm not one for 'mushy stuff'; as far as I'm concerned
People who look for twin souls often get their fingers burned!
Give me Friendship any day! Leave Romance on the shelf!
I'd rather keep my Heart and Soul entirely to myself!
*

1 comment:

Maude Lynn said...

I totally agree with Twin Souls! Well done!