Monday, May 30, 2011

Road to Nowhere


MELLOW YELLOW MONDAY
http://mellowyellowmonday.blogspot.com/
ROAD TO NOWHERE 

We're all on a road to nowhere;
Step up and join the parade.
Get in line one behind the other
And do not be afraid.
What if the journey's pointless,
And ends in a hard brick wall?
What if that distant horizon
Isn't even there at all?
What if that sun in the heaven
Can never be made to shine?
What if we'll never find that place
Where the weather is always fine?
Set out on the journey
As though on a holiday.
You're sure to pick some flowers
That are growing by the way.
*

----------------------------------------------------

MY INTENTION

Now seems the time to make a mention
Of my once-avowed intention
To be a stately lady in old age!
I thought I'd see, with life enduring,
A very elegant maturing,
A graceful entry into life's last stage!
*
I knew I'd get a 'widow's hump'
But I thought I'd be all cuddly-plump,
With rosy cheeks and a twinkle in my eye.
I planned to sit in the ingle-nook
Reading pages from a Dickens book,
Merely watching the rest of life go by.
*
Embroidery? Yes, I'd try that,
Sewing some lacy table-mat,
And smiling to myself with modest charm.
My voice would grow all sweet and deep,
And often I would fall asleep
Like an old cushion, soft and warm and calm.
*
Needless to say, the times have changed;
My attitude is rearranged;
I'm hardly ever home, if truth were told.
I rush about with old 'girl' friends
In a social whirl that never ends!
So much for growing calm as I grow old!
*

2 comments:

Christine said...

Enjoyed both, the first one brought a tear to my eye, not sure why, feeling somewhat lost lately.

Kay L. Davies said...

Someone did a good job of the perspective in that painting (an artist? a graffitist?). It really seems to lead somewhere...just for a second, it beckons us to an unreal world.
Then there's the real world, isn't there, Brenda? I rather thought I'd grow up as I grew old, but it hasn't happened. I look like my grandmother, but there the resemblance ends. I certainly don't act like her. I'm a 32-year-old in a 64-year-old body, wondering where the energy went.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel