Thursday, May 26, 2011

Canine Corner



It's good to know that there's a place
Where dogs can bark and sniff and race,
And yap and roll each other over,
And answer if someone shouts 'Rover!'
It's good to know they can get up speed
Released from that all-constraining lead.
It's good to see them running free,
In and out of the splashy sea.
And, should one chance to meet a mate
Of either sex, it must be great
To show that interest. Simply spiffing!
All that nuzzling, all that sniffing!
As for the humans hanging round,
Their agenda is also sound.
'Get yourself a dog' ..... that's what they say
'If you're hoping love will come your way'.
Many a really great romance
Has started with a sidelong glance
And a timid question 'What's the breed?'
Sometimes that is all you need.
Love is never out of reach
When you're romping on a doggy beach.
*

------------------------------------------------------------------


A VERY SMALL CANVAS
I have painted my life
On a tiny canvas.
*
It has been brightly coloured
With pretty little patterns
All over it.
And a few
Black smudges.
But it hasn't amounted to much.
*
No-one ever wanted to frame it!
No-one ever asked me to give
An Exhibition.
No-one ever 'wrote me up'
In the local press.
*
No-one ever discussed
My picture.
No-one ever analysed
The emotions and technique
That lay behind my work.
*
I wanted to use broad strokes
And create a masterpiece.
But I never found the right canvas
And I lost the brush.
After a while
The paints dried up.
*
I'll throw them away.
Soon.
*
My life is displayed
On a Post-It note.
With a sticky back.
So that it can be removed
And tossed away,
With ease.
*
Post-It notes
Don't survive for long.
*
Maybe I am less than a Post-It note.
Maybe I am just a pixel.
Maybe most of us are pixels.
*
It is only when pixels are seen en masse
That they amount to anything.
*
But one missing pixel
Isn't missed.
*

2 comments:

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

Beautiful watery photo, and your poems are fantastic. Love this "Maybe most of us are pixels."

Margaret Gosden said...

Yet another take on how ephemeral life is! However, they say Opera W is here to stay, but for how long? 4000 years ago, the pharos built their pyramids, then
the second pharo built the sphinx. I wonder what will
remain 4000 years hence! My dictionary has opened at a page showing a chart - 10,000 years ago the development of mankind was estimated occurring in the 'recent' epoch = this equals pixels seen en masse, I guess!