Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Road Rage


ABC WEDNESDAY

ROAD RAGE
(An Acrostic)

Ridiculous behaviour! Thoughtless and obscene!
Only an idiot would rage, if you know what I mean.
As though we can't cooperate and use the roads together
Decently taking heed of special needs and tricky weather.
*
Rude gestures never ever help they only make us mad
As for fights, there's not a one that isn't really bad!
Get wise, you drivers! Learn to share the only roads we've got!
Ending as a statistic doesn't help an awful lot!
*
----------------------------------------------------------------


LEFT BEHIND

I am not prone to nightmares but one lingers in my mind,
It involves being with people and being left behind.
As a child there were always railings that inhabited my dream;
I touched a railing, stuck to it and couldn't even scream.
And my mother and her friend just kept on walking on and on!
They didn't even look around to see where I had gone!
And the scream I made was in my head; I didn't make a sound,
And there was nothing I could do to make them look around.
I remember my mother chatting with her usual animation,
With absolutely no concern for my dreadful situation.
I can't remember how it ended; I suppose I just awoke
And, in the morning sunlight the whole thing seemed a joke.
This photograph has captured the nightmare I recall.
That sense of being Left Behind that can assail us all.
*

-------------------------------------------------------
PS

Especially for Mike and Joy, two people I know look-in regularly. We performed 'Tiddly Pom' again yesterday evening, for a Church Group. This was the first time since last February. Unfortunately, I forgot to hand-over my camera to someone in the audience to take pictures, so I just took a few while we were having snacks afterwards. It was a very successful evening.

Here is Joy herself, with our mutual friend, Jill.


Here we have Yvonne, Pam and Shirley, with another Pam at far right. The jazzy-looking one is still dressed as the Chief Bridesmaid.

This photo is hopelessly out of focus but I quite like it of Malcolm and me.


4 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

hate, hate road rage, and your acrostic was well done
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Maryhocam said...

I need to show my Mum your poem about road rage. She is 84 years young and suffers dreadfully from this disease.

Kay L. Davies said...

Super acrostic, Brenda. I agree, there's no point in ending up as a statistic just because another driver did something silly.
I know about those dreams wherein we can't make a sound. Very scary. I always wake up exhausted after one of those.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Meryl said...

I loved your road rage! I can so relate, being a New Yorker.