Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Fraud


MAGPIE TALES
http://magpietales.blogspot.com/
supplied the illustration

FRAUD

Once, when I was a little lad,
It happened I'd done something bad.
So the Vicar asked me round to tea,
And spoke, with stern sobriety,
About his life as a boy in school
Where he had learned the golden rule.
He told me he'd never picked a quarrel,
Being so utterly, utterly moral.
He said that he would always look
For guidance to the Holy Book.
And, true, I saw it there myself,
Prominent on his shining shelf.
But further along I also found
Another tome, all leather bound.........
*
If you're going to steal from the library
Don't leave the sticker for all to see!
*
----------------------------------------------------------------


AT THE READY!

Beady eye at the ready.
On my perch, very steady.
Little twitch, little squirm.
Ah! a snake! Or a worm!
Barbecue down below.
That's from where all blessings flow.
Human beings having fun
Make a feast for everyone.
Drop a sausage! Throw a chip!
Please make this a worthwhile trip!
Any morsel will suffice
In this kookaburra Paradise!
*

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the story you chose to tell. They are both great! My magpie: http://verseinanutshell.wordpress.com/2011/05/16/open-book/

Anonymous said...

Genius of a poem!

Donna B. said...

Both excellent examples of your abundant talent!

Kay L. Davies said...

Delightful, Brenda! I noticed the library book there, too.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kathe W. said...

both are great- love to read what you come up with! Cheers!

M. A. S. said...

Two great poems. And I've never seen a picture of a kookaburra.

Anonymous said...

Fabulously witty as always. Wondering what that book could have been? :O)

Helen said...

Pure and utter delight ~ both poems. In my youth our girl scout troop sang a wonderful ditty about a kookaburra sitting in an old gum tree. I can still sing it ... almost 60 years later.

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

Your words flow so naturally as if they simply pour from you. I like both of these poems immensely.

Margaret Pangert said...

Great satire, Brenda! Ah, yes, the Dewey Decimal system--that betrayer!
Love the cadence of these two poems as well as the ironic use of "That's from where all blessings flow!"
I read your profile--you have lived and are living a very interesting life!
Best, Margaret

hyperCRYPTICal said...

Brenda I concur with previous comments - a genius of a post!

Rhyming not contrived at all - flows naturally.

Bravo!

Anna :o]

Other Mary said...

Ha - love your humor!

Helena said...

I love these! The first one in particular.....those library books that see themselves out the door, eh?

~T~ said...

What fun!

lucychili said...

nice light rhythm =)

The Blog of Bee said...

I wonder how many of us have at last one book that was never returned?! A great read.