Sunday, May 15, 2011

Engrossed

 

ENGROSSED

You look so lovely, darling; I love that windswept look!
Let me take another one to stick in my memory book!
Now say 'Cheese!'. That's gorgeous. I'm a sucker for your smile.
So sweet! So warm! So simpering! Oh how you do beguile!
Don't worry about waves, dear; they're still a long way out.
Oh bother! Here's a big one........................
*

-------------------------------------------------


PATIENCE STRONG

I looked out of the window and I thought of Patience Strong,
As I gazed up at the sunny-cloudy sky.
Yes, I thought of Patience Strong and the verses that she wrote
In the dim and distant days of time gone by.
She wrote her little verses to inspire and give some hope
To readers needing solace at that time,
And she wrote her little homilies in her own simplistic way
And she wrote them all in easy-flowing rhyme.
And the morning's stormy sky seemed to call for Patience Strong
To weave her old-time magic once again,
To say something based on the dark of clouds and the bright light of the sun
And the finite nature of a shower of rain.
And so I thought 'Why don't I try a little Patience Strong;
And write a poem based on clouds above?'
So here it is, my homily to cheer your wretched lives
And fill them with the poetry of love.
*
The day has dawned and it is time to rise up from your bed!
Look up and see the sun and clouds that mingle overhead.
Remember every day must bring some grey, some ebb and flow.
Your clouds may speak of gentle rain or of icy winds that blow.
But the sun is always shining, even though it can't be seen;
And if you watch intently, there are sunbeams in between.
The clouds are transient, you know, and they will fade away,
But the sun is always there for you, however dark your day.
*

14 comments:

SparkleFarkel said...

Camera or no camera, your upbeat photographer's message is loud and clear: Keep smiling! (And I think I will --even when the "tide hits hard"I LOL! Hm... Getting wet from a wave = Glad tidings?! YES!)

Kay L. Davies said...

So, how do I say "you are the master" without sounding politically incorrect, and without saying "you are the mistress" of rhyme?
Well, mistress or master of rhyme, Brenda, your Patience Strong in her Quiet Corner couldn't compete with you. You are the best.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sonia said...

He sounds like the fashion photographers on tv. LOL

Susan Fobes said...

Three poems today! And I loved your funny take for the meme...

Pooch said...

Gotta keep an eye on those waves!! He's truly a determined photographer.
:)

Anyes said...

He sure has a way with words :-)

SJerZGirl said...

You are an excellent poet! Watch out for that big wave!!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

Love your microfiction (he's got quite the line!) and your poetry.

jabblog said...

All so satisfying - and I'm sure there's room for another Patience Strong in the world:-)

Elaine said...

Excellent job! That brought a smile to my face.

Sharkbytes said...

At least someone put a positive spin on the picture!

Grandma's Goulash said...

One certainly has to admire that type of persistence. Enjoyed your take on the photo.

Lynette Killam said...

You did cheer my day with your rhymes, and it's always good to remember that the sun will eventually move out from behind the clouds...:)

Lynette
Imagination Lane

Pat said...

Your poems always bring a smile to my face, Brenda. Taking photos on the beach can be risky. I was walking backward making a video of crashing waves one time when I fell backward over a large rock into a tidepool right on my derriere! I held my camera up high, though, so it didn't get wet.