Monday, May 2, 2011

Hesitation


               Diana Leonard

HESITATION
Shall I? Shan't I? Will or Won't?
Could I? Can't I? Do or Don't?
Hesitation back and forth;
West and East and South and North.
Decisive people make me feel
As though my brain cells will congeal.
When I'm tempted to say 'Yes!'
Then I start to make a guess
At all the possibilities
That may result! I sort of freeze.
Suddenly I change my mind,
Leaving 'Yes' way, way behind.
'No!' I shout with exultation.
I have avoided tribulation!
Ah! But that other, daring route,
Who knows, it may have brought forth fruit.
Have I been a silly duffer?
Am I, therefore, going to suffer?
I toss and turn and bite my sheet;
My agony of mind's complete.
I want someone to so adore me
That he makes my decisions for me.
I must bite the bullet! Yes! I must!
Where are instincts I can trust?
Shall I? Shan't I? Will or Won't?
Could I? Can't I? Do or Don't?
*
------------------------------------------------------------


A WINE-DARK SEA

Rottnest Island, just off Perth, is a place for holidays,
And the picture up above shows you the reason.
It's a lovely rocky outcrop full of crags and glorious bays
Perfect for fishing, never mind the season.
And the colour of the water almost took my breath away;
There was almost every shade of blue and green.
That's why I'm planning to repeat our holiday,
And to savour, once again, this lovely scene.
*

6 comments:

James Rainsford said...

Cleverly constructed and skilfully rhymed. I really enjoyed reading this.

Gloria said...

This is just perfect...it sounds like me! Indecision is my middle name!!! Enjoyed this!

Anonymous said...

duality of self. cool

Anonymous said...

duality of self. cool

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

lovely word play.

enjoyed the flow.
A++

Jess PJ said...

Great hesitation poem! I feel that way when trying to make decisions all the time!