Saturday, May 28, 2011

Flight.



WRITERS' ISLAND
provided the visual prompt.

FLIGHT

Though the waves may threaten beneath our feet
And the coming day may be hard to meet,
We all have wings to make life sweet.
So fly.
*
Some may fly on the wings of song;
Their voices may ring out clear and strong
On bell-like  tones they may fly along.
So fly.
*
Some may fly on the power of word
Imagined, spoken, written, heard.
Every syllable like a bird.
So fly.
*
Others may swoop on wings of art.
A simple line may be the start;
A splash of colour may reach the heart.
So fly
*
Others may seek the notes of strings;
A violin says many things.
An orchestra has gossamer wings.
So fly.
*
All these things can make us fly
Way up into a clear, blue sky.
Never seek to ask 'But why?
Just fly.
*

---------------------------------------------------------

[the_unwilling_bride_picture_e9o4.jpg]


JUST IN TIME!

I came down the aisle in my veil of white
Hoping that everything would be all right.
I'd been having doubts for a week or two;
Hadn't been sure of what I should do.
A hint of aggression had marred his tone;
He'd been brusque when we were all alone.
It was as though I belonged to him!
Thoughts of the future became more grim.
His kisses still promised the same old passion,
But marred in an almost cruel fashion!
I tossed and turned, gnawing on my choices,
Hearing in my mind a dozen voices....
My mother ' But, darling, the dress is made!'
My Father 'Look at what I've already paid!'
My friends ' You're going to be filthy rich!'
My Aunt 'It's really too late to switch'.
My own voice added to the chorus
'Maybe things will work out for us.'
He turned and smiled as I came up the aisle,
But was it just a 'mouth-only' smile?
I went through the motions, trembling, shaking.
Was this an awful risk I was taking?
He'd insisted on that 'obedient' clause,
And I'd given-in to him because
After all, as a business man of standing,
He was bound to be quite demanding.
But, goaded, when it came to that word
(And I know that this will sound absurd)
I suddenly let-out a heartfelt cry!
From the depths of my heart I yelled out 'Why?'
The congregation, stiffened and stirred;
He blanched when he heard my daring word,
Blanched and clenched his teeth as well.
*
I picked up my skirts and ran like hell!
*

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marvellous, Rinkly. I do hope it's not autobiographical, though it has the ring of truth about it.Your last line is priceless!

Arianna said...

I loved your poem, 'Flight'. Truly beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I thought your first one was charming :)

Berowne said...

You have a rare talent: to combine rhyme, meter AND a message, all balanced beautifully.

Linda Jacobs said...

Great message in the first one! We should all fly just like the bride in the second one!

Gattina said...

You are lucky to be able to do such nice poems !

Elizabeth said...

Love the juxtaposition of the two pieces. I feel both strongly. The second one would be the reason I came to know the truth in the first piece. Thank you,

Elizabeth

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Interesting pic and poems.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed both your response to the Writer's Island prompt, as well as your second piece.

You sure do have talent!!

~Paula

Margaret Gosden said...

What a pity Diana did not do that to Charles, but then we would not have had William and Harry!

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done ...thanks for sharing

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

The first one is way too cool.

Cheers.

Isabel said...

loved both of these. great writes.