Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Experiment



GRANDMA'S GOULASH
http://grandmas-goulash.info/2011/05/succinctly-yours-week-9/
wants us to comment on this picture in very few words

THE EXPERIMENT

Sweet Flower of the Forest, I have removed one rose.
Oh! I didn't realise it was holding up your clothes!
Let me remove the left-hand one, just to check the theory.
My thoughts are absolutely pure, my innocent little dearie.
Did I tell you I was a Scientist? Why, it seems to me
That only a thorough removal will establish Q.E.D.
*

-------------------------------------------------------------------



BIOMIMICRY

Nearly four billion years!
And still it is a work in progress.
*
Nature,
Beavering away,
Adapting,
Discarding,
Rearranging,
Improving.
*
Take the humble spider's web.
The construction is faultless.
The intention is obvious.
The beauty is resplendent.
*
It exists for one purpose,
And it is a miracle of engineering.
*
Comes a gale....
It will swing.
Comes a shower.....
It will shudder but survive.
Comes a break....
It will rebuild.
Comes a fly.....
It will scuttle,
Grab, Dissect, Suck, Crunch.
*
The design has proved to be
Perfect for its purpose.
*
Then, folding itself
In on itself,
The spider will centre itself,
And wait,
Unaware that it is within
A miracle.
*
It took four billion years!
As did all the other miracles,
Ant-hills,
Adhesive feet ,
Snail shells.......
*
And we have tried to improve things!
What audacity!
*
But now scientists are learning
To mimic nature
In their designs.
*
The new science of
Biomimicry
Is coming into its own!
*
About time!
*

11 comments:

Liz Rice-Sosne said...

I like both poems ... but Biomimicry is brilliant and oh so true.

Kay L. Davies said...

The first is hilarious, Brenda, perfect for the prompt!
You're so right about nature's engineering marvels. We can barely compare.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Margaret Gosden said...

I agree with Liz! I just hadn't thought back that long!

SparkleFarkel said...

Looks like both our minds were in the shallow end of gutter on this one!

Luv, SF~~~~~* (<--cLiCkY-cLiCkY my initals for a looksee. Thanks!)

Sonia said...

Both poems are really great, especially The second one, and the first is perfect for the prompt. Funny, too. LOL

Gemma Wiseman said...

Love the fun twist in the first poem! Strange connections with the 2nd poem! Last night just watched a programme on fractals in Nature!

Susan Fobes said...

Hilarious 140! And you're right-this does look a tad suspicious.

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

As usual, your microfiction is delightful. And "Biomimicry" is spot on and beautifully constructed. Thanks for the twofer!

Anyes said...

I would not trust him ;-)

Pat said...

Ooh, risque SY... cute and clever!

Biomimicry is fantastic! You are so talented.

Grandma's Goulash said...

I'm still laughing over The Experiment. And I'm still giving an affirmative head nod to Bilmimicry. Well done!