Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Who?


IMAGINARY GARDEN
asks us to filch words from Shakespeare and continue with our own.
(I have used the first line of Sonnet 17.)

WHO?
(A Sonnet)

Who will believe my verse in time to come,
Or even care to read it any more?
My sentiments will be ludicrous to some,
And reading them a quite abysmal chore.
Ephemeral, this writing on a blog;
A 'here today and gone tomorrow' thing.
My poor old Muse, whose hide I daily flog,
Has only just one day to have a fling.
The moving finger taps, then presses 'Click',
The words fly off into the who-knows-where.
And every little verbal party-trick
We hoped that half the world would want to share
Has disappeared, like all our yesterdays,
With only 'comments' to enjoy as praise.
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------


CROP DUSTING
(An Acrostic)

Caution! Chemicals in the air!
Release your cargo with great care!
Over the fields the 'duster' flies
Preventing 'nasties' from the skies.
*
Doubtless we're needing such prevention.
 Unwelcome diseases need intervention.
Still, we shudder at the thought
That chemicals of a lethal sort
If released on the open air
Noxiously settle everywhere.
Go carefully with your killing dust
Only releasing it where you must!
*




12 comments:

Kerry O'Connor said...

Wow! Your sonnet is quite marvellously done, and behind the satirical wit lies a very real observation about the times we poet-bloggers find ourselves in. I thoroughly enjoyed your piece.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the humor in your sonnet - which you wrote very nimbly! Good one! Love "with only comments to enjoy as praise".

Lolamouse said...

Great sonnet! Shakespeare would be pleased! And it raises a question we all probably wonder about.

Helen said...

Filch words ... I love that! Great work Brenda ~ both the Shakespeare and the acrostic.

Susie Clevenger said...

Great job...I too wonder where in the land of internet my words come to rest..."with only comments to enjoy as praise" Love it!!

Maude Lynn said...

Love the sonnet!

Kay L. Davies said...

Very well done, Brenda. I would love to think my words will last, but I don't even get "comment" praise from my siblings, so there's no point in hoping for it from their children or their children's children.
We poets have to write for ourselves or not write at all, methinks.
But you're right about the crop dusting. One of my childhood friends can recite all the ills of every person from the old neighbourhood, and she insists we're all ill (the ones who haven't died) because of orchard sprays.
We'll probably die of old age before we know if she's right.
K

Anonymous said...

Most amazing modern sonnet! I love it. Truly, we will be in that crop duster season soon.

Hannah said...

"every little verbal party-trick"

Love that!!

Your second is a topic that haunts me.

Both very well written!

Ella said...

You are so clever ;D
I really enjoyed your poem!
Shakespeare would love your contribution! Brilliant...

Sreeja said...

Brilliant!

Margaret said...

The sonnet is very clever and you are amazing. Love your way with words.