Sunday, June 24, 2012

The Airy Fable

CARRY ON TUESDAY
Asks us to use words taken from this Dickens quote:

"The dreams of childhood - its airy fables, its graceful, beautiful, humane, impossible adornments of the world beyond ; so good to be believed in once, so good to be remembered when outgrown."


THE AIRY FABLE

I'd tell you an airy fable,
Graceful, beautiful, humane,
Good to be remembered
When life goes down the drain.
It's about the dreams of childhood
And the fairy world beyond
When impossible adornments
Came with the wave of a wand.
Once such tales sustained us
But now they are outgrown.
We scarcely can remember
The world that once was known.
I'd tell you an airy fable
So good to be retold.
But it seems that I've forgotten it!
I must be getting old!
*
---------------------------------------------------------------

THE SANDS OF TIME

The sands of time are slipping through my fingers.
The grains are blowing in the wind each day;
They hover in the air but one small instant
And then, forever, they are blown away.
Some cling to me as sweet or bitter memories,
While others disappear for evermore,
Destined to be part of some great sandscape
On some far distant universal shore.
I clench my fingers tightly; I must stop them,
Retain them, keep them, never let them go,
But fingers weaken with the passing ages,
And, sorrowfully, I must watch them blow.
In youth, I let them scatter willy-nilly;
Their progress into nothingness unheeded;
But now each grain is dancing and delightful,
And oh so very definitely needed.
One day my hands will empty and fall lifeless;
By then I know that I won't even care;
And all my grains of sand will reach the cosmos
And drift around eternally up there.
Till then, each grain is precious as a diamond,
To be fondled and admired for just a while,
I know that it will leave me in an instant,
But, while I can, I'll treasure it and smile.
*

7 comments:

keiths ramblings said...

I just love your Airy Fable - I'm amazed you managed to use so much of this massive prompt so effectively. You never let us down!

Mary said...

I enjoyed your take on Keith's prompt. It is true that we forget many fairy tales/ fables of childhood as time goes on!

George S Batty said...

always worth a moment reading your words.

joanne said...

Airy tale was a bit sad but ultimately fun.....the second poem was beautifully written..

Anonymous said...

Excellent poems. I enjoyed both very much. You write beautifully.

Rida said...

The Airy Fable was delightful!

my heart's love songs said...

'THE AIRY FABLE' a delightful creation using so many of the prompts!

'THE SANDS OF TIME'
magical, mystical, sad, yet retaining hope... a beautiful description for all of us aging.