Sunday, June 3, 2012

Creativity

The Wordle
A sketch for a statue

THE SUNDAY WHIRL
asks us to use all the words in the Wordle

First I draw the shape  desired.
With creativity I am fired.
Now I feel my heart beat fast;
Will the prize be mine at last?
Choose the quarry, choose the stone;
The labour's not just mine alone.
I hear the crunch, I see the split.
This is my statue! This is it!
With a crash my stone is free;
I feel a glow! It belongs to me.
The carter carries home my prize;
I see my work with inward eyes.
The rock is settled on the floor;
The carter goes. I close the door.
Now I sharpen my chisel's edge;
I make a vow, I make a pledge.....
Though implements may pierce and bruise,
Art and rock at last will fuse
Into a major work of art!
The initial drawing was but a start.
At last the statue is standing, finished.
My wild delight not at all diminished.
I crumple the drawing, throw it down
Burst out of the room and into town.
'Come and see!' I gladly shout.
'What creativity's all about!'
*
----------------------------------------------


XENOBOMBULATION!
                                                           
Admit it! You've done it and so have I.....
Told that xenobombulation lie.
Pretended to sickness rather than
Face something unpleasant, like a man!
Malingering is its other name.
It's Human Nature that's to blame.
As a very small child you clutched your tummy
Saying 'No school, please, Mummy!'
Yes, we've all turned that little trick;
Writhing around and playing sick.
We'd get a nasty pain in the chest
Whenever the class was due a test.
A headache would rear it's ugly head
And we'd spend a blissful day in bed.
But parents very soon recognise
Little children's malingering lies.
That doesn't stop us trying it on
When our youthful days have gone.
Being clever, the day before,
We complain that our throat is sore,
Paving the way with a cough or two
Timed for when the boss walks through.
Our voice, on the phone, when we call next day,
Is weak and rasping and fades away.
Admit it! This little scenario,
This fabrication of wilting woe,
Seems to come very naturally
To everybody, including me.
But now there's a new word you can use
When trying-on the malingering ruse.
'I'm xenobombulated today!'
That is all you need to say.
You'll blind them with science and know no shame
As you spend the day at the football game!
*
---------------------------------------------------------

PS

Max has just had a life-changing experience! I leave you to guess what it is!


9 comments:

Dr. Pearl Ketover Prilik (PKP) said...

Wonderful wonderful word play and capture of a dancing creative process!

Mary said...

You definitely have captured the artist's pride in his/her creation!

brenda w said...

Both are good, but I Love the first one. It caught me up in its rhythm. And I was so hoping for sculpting poems. Well wordled!

brenda w said...

Both are good, but I Love the first one. It caught me up in its rhythm. And I was so hoping for sculpting poems. Well wordled!

Elizabeth said...

Creativity has always been one of my deepest fascinations. Love your detailed definition of process and the Art work entailed. And yes, we all do tell those malingering lies. They seem to get so much easier with age.

Elizabeth

Traci B said...

Two fun poems! The first one made me smile; the artist was so exuberant. The second made me laugh and think of a few days back in high school... ;)

Amber said...

"Art and rock at last will fuse
" ---- my favourite! :)
One can feel the artist's enthusiasm and excitement in your words! Nicely done! :)
And yes, I'm gonna remember the new word. ;) :)

Anonymous said...

Wonderful job, RR! I like your rhyming - something I do on occasion and like to do, so I especially enjoyed this.

Will you pardon me for suggesting one tiny change? I am not pretending to be nearly as accomplished as you, especially in this poem, but the repetition of "art" in the line:

"Art and rock at last will fuse
Into a major work of art!"

"bugs" me just a bit, in an otherwise wonderful poem!

Perhaps

"Thought and rock at last will fuse
Into a major work of art!"

Or even "Idea and rock" or "Mind and rock"

This is a wonderful poem, and of course my trivial change is not necessary. I include it only because I appreciate this sort of comment - with at least an attempt at being helpful - on my own work.

Jules said...

I shall leave rhyme then to the master! Delightful verse read fast then faster...Tripping the tongue in wordled whirl, as your creativity doth unfurl... :)
Mine is here:
http://julesgemsandstuff.blogspot.com/2012/06/whirl-59-freed-spirit.html