Monday, March 14, 2011

Who's That?


MONDAY'S CHILD
http://childrensverse.blogspot.com/2011/03/mondays-child-37.html
supplied the illustration

WHO'S THAT?
A Poem for Little Children
'Who's that knocking?' Granny cried,
'Who's that standing on the step outside?
Is it the Postman with letters for me?
Is it Clara inviting me to tea?
Is it Spot, my favourite Dog?
Is it a Lizard? Is it a Frog?
Is it a Kitten who's after a Mouse?
Who's that knocking at the door to my house?
Is it some Rabbits with twitchy noses?
*
Ah! It's Evangeline, with some roses!'
*
--------------------------------------------------------


MADLY MAUVE!

What a scene of elegance! What a charming scene!
Underneath the jacaranda, mauve among the green.
Springtime in Australia in days of long ago,
When parlour-maids delivered tea and the pace of life was slow.
But jacarandas now, as then, lose petals every day!
They look so pretty floating down! But they get in the way!
They carpet lawn and path and bench as far as the eye can see.
And Mr and Mrs Perfection, here, will get petals in their tea!
*

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Love the children's poem. We wrote on a surprisingly similar theme.

Elaine said...

Oh how very cute. And I love the word Evangeline!!!

Sherry Irvine said...

Very sweet....I like how granny was on the other side of the door asking the questions :-) xo

signed...bkm said...

What a beautiful name for a darling child...bringing roses...ah spring...it is about here..(in the north that is)...thank you for this delightful piece...bkm

Lyn said...

I like this soooo much!! A true quality that catches childhood..

Jingle said...

who is that?

love the opening.
well done.

Unknown said...

Dear Brenda,
I like this poem very much. The name Evangeline has such a poetic quality in itself!

I have just ordered your book of poems Little somethings. Broke my budget, but it is worth it!
Best wishes,
Anna

Anna's Monday's Child # 37


Anna's Monday's Child # 37