Thursday, March 10, 2011

Against the Grain

WE WRITE POEMS
chose the title

AGAINST THE GRAIN

As with timber, so with me;
We have natural inclinations.
The grain of the wood decides the cut
In all situations.
Sawing against the grain is hard;
Nature is being thwarted.
The resulting plank may be all askew,
Faulty and distorted.
And so it is with you and me,
We have a natural grain;
Some things come to us easily;
Others cause us pain.
Honesty may come naturally,
So, if we're forced to lie,
It goes against the grain for us,
However hard we try.
I rather like a symbol
 Which unites a man and tree,
The great oak in the forest
And folk like you and me.
*
-----------------------------------------------------------------

CRAZY-MIXED-UP-TOAD!

Toad in the Hole is a wonderful dish;
It's filling, it's tasty, it's hot.
It sounds pretty awful but never mind that!
Reptilian? Certainly not!
It's an old way with sausage in batter,
To make it go further I guess,
But now you can make it more tasty.
I tell you, it's sure to impress!
First fry your chopped onion and bacon,
Meanwhile the oven is heating.
Brown sausage and chop then set to one side.
The batter will now need a beating.
Make a regular batter with eggs, milk and flour,
But then add an ingredient that's new.
Mix in mustard powder, not much of course,
Two teaspoons will certainly do.
In the pan in the oven put onion and meats,
And pour over the batter you've beaten
In no time at all it will rise and puff up
And simply demand to be eaten!
*
Ingredients
6  sausages. 2 onions. 4 rashers bacon. 2 tbsp olive oil. 150g plain flour. 2 tsp mustard powder.
2 eggs. 300ml milk. Tomato for garnish.
Bake at 200 degrees for 1/2 hour.
*

3 comments:

Jinksy said...

Good lord - you made me look at the clock, because it's nearly time for lunch, and your recipe wouldn't let go of my tummy! Alas, I have no sausages, or I might have had to rush to the kitchen! LOL

jabblog said...

I like the idea of being compared to a mighty oak - if only! It was a wonderful metaphor, though.
I never did like toad in the hole - too much batter and not enough toad. I'm sure the mustard gives it extra zing.

Maude Lynn said...

There is so much wisdom in "Against the Grain." Wonderful piece.