Friday, March 11, 2011

Ghostest with the Leastest


A  rather spooky coincidence this week. Two prompts about ghosts on the same day!
Is it a message from the Beyond?


THURSDAY THINK TANK
Topic: Ghosts

GHOSTEST WITH THE LEASTEST

I think ghosts are memes!
 That's the way they strike me.
I don't believe in a single one
And there are others like me.
Somebody aeons ago
Thought up all that baloney
And 'believers' down the ages
Have latched-on to the phoney.
Maybe somebody was downcast,
Maybe newly bereaved;
He imagined he 'saw' the departed
And his story was believed.
'I've seen one too!' cried the masses,
'In the middle of the night!
Oooooh! It was terribly creepy!
It gave me such a fright!'
And, bit by bit, the meme caught-on,
Part-serious and part-fun,
And soon the idea of haunting
Was believed by everyone.
I've never seen a poltergeist,
I've never heard chains rattling,
I've never heard a spooky voice
With its other-worldly prattling.
So I'll continue to disbelieve............
*
Oooooh! One might come and get me!
Until it does I wont allow
The idea to upset me!
*
PLUS

MAD KANE
asks for a 'ghostly limerick'

PARCEL GHOST
One day, when I opened my post,
I found someone had sent me a ghost!
It looked me in the eye
Then it uttered a cry!
And flew off to some place on the coast.
*

--------------------------------------------------

FRENZY

Though not of the computer age,
The art it has inspired
Fascinates me.
*
Here is depicted
'Frenzy'.
*
See the mind
Trying to break through,
To make sense,
To unravel!
*
See the meaningless strands
And feathers and wings.
Hear the screech!
*
I can.
*

12 comments:

Annie Jeffries said...

Got a big kick out of Parcel Ghost. Very droll.

Unknown said...

I didn't believe in ghosts either, until one held me during a time of grief. I believe now.

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

I enjoyed your ghost verse!

Lynette Killam said...

I too enjoyed Parcel Ghost! I read it out loud to feel it roll off my tongue...:)

Lynette

http://imaginationlane.blogspot.com/2011/02/my-first-microfiction-monday.html

madhumakhi said...

"Meme" is an interesting word and it was used by Richard Dawkins in his book "The Selfish Gene". I like your interpretation of a ghost as a meme that caught on and managed to survive. Even I think made up ghosts are bogus.

Brother Ollie said...

RR - you make a good case.

Jingle said...

I do believe somehow ghosts.

remarkable touch of ghosts..

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I liked Parcel Ghost too, very much!

flaubert said...

I love parcel ghost, made me laugh!

Pamela

Ella said...

Parcel Ghost was a howl~ Fun to read!
I liked Frenzy, too~

Peggy said...

I like Parcel Ghost as well and I had to look up meme in the first one! Good inspiration!

Eileen T O'Neill ..... said...

RR,
Wonderful words to set the ghostly scene.
I guess it depends on many things, as to whether or not, the ghostly one does exist!!
Best wishes, Eileen