Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Gumshoe



ABC WEDNESDAY

Guessing..... as a foreigner..... that gumshoe means 'detective'.
Unless, of course, Google's got it wrong (but can it be defective?);
Masculine Humphrey Bogart was certainly one of these;
Sultry and mysterious, but always sure to please.
However, did he wear soft shoes? That hasn't been made plain.
Obviously I must look when I see his films again.
Every country has it's slang; this was unknown to me.
But, if we were all alike, how boring it would be!
*
---------------------------------------------------

HUMMING A HAIKU
Light fractured in splinters
Rainbow released
Flutter and hum in the light.
*

7 comments:

Sylvia K said...

Fun post for the G Day, Brenda! I was always a fan of Bogart whether he was a Gumshoe or not! Fun memories! Hope your week is going well!

Sylvia
ABC Team

??? said...

I've always been amused by the word gumshoe, but I love all the noir movies. Albert Finney is the gumshoe for me, though.

EG CameraGirl said...

Gumshoe is a new one for me!

Hildred said...

A great choice for G, - I had almost forgotten about the gumshoe word for detective, - there are lots of them around now, but probably none as romantic as Bogart.

Roger Owen Green said...

ha! i know the term, but I don't know the why!
ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Kay L. Davies said...

There's an old word for you. Wow. Gumshoes were detectives before I was born, and that's a while ago. I'd rather be a gumshoe than a flatfoot (policeman walking a beat) but my arches are falling (really) so I have no choice in the matter.
Good 'G' post, Brenda. I enjoyed the acrostic (the last line, starting with B, made me think of B for Brenda, B for Bryant, or B for Bogart).
And yes, Google can be defective, because the information is only as reliable as the people who put it in there (and they're always inviting correction), but, in this case, they were right. The "gumshoe" detective was, of course, epitomized by such photos as this one of Bogart - belted rain coat, hat, cigarette in hand, etc.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

You sure learn a new thing every day with blogging!

Great G

Tyra