Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Alpha Male


MAGPIE TALES
http://magpietales.blogspot.com/2011/03/mag-58.html
supplied the illustration.

ALPHA MALE

Angus McDee, that Alpha Male,
Before whom lesser mortals quail,
Gathered the people of his clan
And said 'I am a Mighty Man!
Shortly I will sally forth
To fight the Beastie from the North!
The people cheered, the people shouted!
The warrior's prowess was not doubted!
*
Angus cried 'I'm not afraid!
Of the toughest stuff I know I'm made.
The poor old Beastie has no inkling
That I'll despatch him in a twinkling.
See! Here I have my trusty sword,
With it's shining blade so sharp and broad.
And here I have my trusty dagger!'
(Here he gave a little swagger.)
*
'Then there is my trusty knife
With which I'll end the Beastie's life.
Not to mention my trusty dirk!
And now, goodbye. I'll get to work!'
The people cheered, the people yelled;
With pride their Scottish bosoms swelled.
He set off over the hills alone,
Weighed down by his testosterone!
*
The Beastie, which had for years survived,
Was waiting when our man arrived,
Pawing the ground and loudly snorting.
(The whole affair was very sporting!)
Angus McDee, the Alpha Male,
Didn't blanche and didn't pale!
He bellowed 'Which of us will yield?'
And held aloft his trusty shield.
*
His weapons sliced, his weapons slashed,
Loud and clear the weapons clashed,
They made a pleasant whizzing sound,
But the angry Beastie stood its ground.
The battle raged for half a day
With neither of them giving way.
The members of the clan awaited
Angus, with their breath all bated.
*
When he returned he began to wail
'Sorry! I only got the tail!'
*

-----------------------------------------------------------------

STALWARTS

Evening sunlight heralds night.
Shadows stretch before sleep.
The trees will stand guard in the darkness, alone.
*

13 comments:

Tumblewords: said...

Your words always delight and reveal - wonderful, as usual.

Marilyn & Jeff said...

This is wonderful, I thoroughly enjoyed this romp through Angus McDee'ssessi tale.

Isabel Doyle said...

Great fun with Angus ... again the sorry tail.

Tess Kincaid said...

I think I must use "sally forth" today.

Kathe W. said...

this was a romp! Hilarious ending!

Helen said...

You certainly have a way with words ~~ and rhyme!!

Anonymous said...

Wow..this is quite the tour de force. A rollicking read and a very clever ending. (Did I mention the flow and rhyming were exceptional).

Martin said...

I'll bet our Angus was used to tall tales, too.

Poetry24…where news is the Muse

Carrie Van Horn said...

Alpha male....this is brilliant Brenda! :-)

Reflections said...

Cleverly placed ending... oh, but just the tail. Nicely done.

Lucy Westenra said...

You have a wonderful facility with rhyme.

chiccoreal said...

Dear Brenda: Cheers for the brawny lads with excess testerone

"He bellowed 'Which of us will yield?'"

We all like supper don't we?

The ending is a hoot!

The Haiku is beautifully rendered.

Jinksy said...

And that's a new take on a twist in the tail!