Sunday, July 12, 2009

Feelings





FEELINGS

So many feelings,
Inspired by one memory.
*
A gate opening on to a quiet road;
So quiet
That we looked up, startled,
When a car went by.
*
Distant views of grassland,
Sometimes a glorious green,
Sometimes the dry colour of corn
And, once,
The grey of extreme drought.
*
Here and there, cows,
And the sound of distant mooing.
A sheep
To crop the garden grass.
Geese
To protect,
Or to be protected from!
Hens laying eggs.
A baby kangaroo
To nurture.
*
Along the road a little way
Horses,
Coming up to the fence to be fed.
An exciting excursion for a little boy.
*
Heat.
But not the humidity of the coast.
A dry, scented heat.
*
The treasured memories
Of a citified Grandmother
Whose family
Once lived in the country.
*
Thinking back to
Once Upon a Time.
*
What do I feel?
Sadness?
Pleasure?
Nostalgia?
*
All of that.
*

17 comments:

Sherri B. said...

There was such a lovely sentimentality to this poem...you took me back in time and I felt like I was right there. Very visual! Beautiful.

xxx said...

and a very nice once upon a time too


best wishes
Ribbon

Tammie Lee said...

Treasured memories indeed~

Mari Meehan said...

It's rather like where we are no. Not quite but close. Except for the kangaroo! Lol

Granny Smith said...

Lovely images for all the senses. I very much enjoy your occasional free verse for subjects such as this. "Thinking back to/Once Upon a Time." I like the way you punctuated it.

Isn't it sad what has happened to Zimbabwe?

The Dark Lord said...

I loved reading your poem so much.. they touched me profoundly.. and I found myself in that "once upon a time" land.. Overwhelmed by a rush of nostalgic memories.. Thank you for this lovely, lovely piece...

quilly said...

Baby kangaroo! How cool. I wish I had such a memory.

JP/deb said...

Wonderful picture you painted ... I was walking the lane with you :)

peace,
JP/deb

Anonymous said...

Mum, this is superb. I feel all sentimental and teary now. It was a lovely time of my life.

Tumblewords: said...

Once upon a time, we were close to the earth. Now we seem to spin our wheels getting away, far away. This is a superbly rendered, heart wrenching look at what once was. Grandmothers are special.

Kat said...

"Once upon a time" sounds EDEN..!!!!

Esther Joy said...

Reminds me of some of my own memories from this past summer... Thanks for sharing!

Annesphamily said...

A beautiful post! I enjoy poetry and yours is exceptional! Thank you for the fine share.

Unknown said...

Well done! I love the flow of your poem.

anitamombanita said...

I loved this post. Could have been anywhere, until you added the unique wonder of a kangaroo. Seems like a lovely peaceful place with lots of personal history. Nicely done.

Cheryl D. said...

What a beautiful moment you captured. I could feel the emotions behind the words you wrote.

Stunning.

Jenny said...

Absolutely Fantastic...

It Feels like I am back at the Farmhouse smelling the Fragrances of the country...

Fantastic job...

Fond wishes For a Fabulous 2012!

A+