Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Flying Fish!



FLYING FISH!
One moment I am deep in the depths,
With the waving, widdershinning weeds,
With the clams stuck fast to their outcrops
And the pebbles and the reeds;
There, where the water eddies
In shades of inky blue,
And only a glimpse of the sunlight
Ever chances through;
Where the eyes of the other fishes
Loom up and then dart away
And I can only imagine
The sky and the light of day.
Suddenly, the feeling grips me;
I must rise, up, up through the gloom!
Propelled by desire I rocket
Out of my liquid tomb!
I swoop straight up through the water
Fueled by my desire.
Past schools of phantom fishes,
Higher and ever higher!
And the surface is like a barrier,
Overhead there's a sheet of glass!
I hear a tremendous explosion
As it breaks to let me pass.
For a glorious second I hang there,
Suspended in mid-air,
I see the sun and the blue sky
And I wince at the glitter and glare.
Then I drop like a stone to the water,
To return to the moisty deep,
To dream of my great adventure.
My leap! My leap! My leap!
*

21 comments:

anthonynorth said...

Ah, to see another world like that. Can the fish ever be the same?

LadyFi said...

It would be great to leap like a fish!

Hootin Anni said...

Flying fish...who would've known.

My HoT is posted now if you'd like to stop by sometime when you have time.

Barb said...

Maybe I'm looking at this a bit deeper than just a fish. (Pardon the pun.) There are times when I feel like I can dare take a leap like this.. past the looks of others (or myself)who may doubt my success at such a leap.

Karen said...

Just living is like living in a series of leaps.

Darlene said...

You have drawn a picture of how it must be to live in the depths of the ocean and long to fly. I felt the emotion of the fish thanks to your descriptive rhyme.

Kat said...

Oooooooh. You took us into the depths and brought us up gasping for air..!!! So realistic.

Tess Kincaid said...

A glorious fishy leap!

joanna said...

Wonderful magpie poem dancing to the music of the leaping fish.

Love it well crafted indeed.

Joanny

RNSANE said...

What an incredible poem! I loved this tale from a the perspective of a denizen of the deep!


Life's Journey is available now at https://www.createspace.com/3439758and will be on Amazon.com in about a week or less.

Life's Journey
www.createspace.com
Poems about the things that have been important to me in my journey through life, some humorous, some sad, some that may have meaning to you as well.

spacedlaw said...

It must truly feel like this!

Berowne said...

VERY impressive! Congratulations.

Lisa said...

Here is to the great leaps and the glitter of warmth and sunlight! Beautiful poem

Helen said...

Wonderful Magpie! You have brought all of us into the magic world of what it must 'feel' like to live in that 'other world!'

christine said...

Amazing imaginative poem...
A sheet of glass must be just as it would look from beneath the sea.

Christine

Lynn ... said...

I loved how you took us on a ride into the deep blue sea in this one! Loved it! LOVED it!!!

Tumblewords: said...

This is full of energy and excitement, a little fear mixed in. Good read!

Lisa said...

is this a poem about the beauty of nature or is it a parable about the lives we live.

well done!

Brian Miller said...

that was amazing. like watching the nature channel or that new disney flick that is coming out about the oceans...my leap! my leap! great magpie!

Lyn said...

So profound..it's the leap that matters..great..thanks!!

~T~ said...

Exhilarating!