Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Singing the Blues

MY TRUE COLOURS
suggests
NAVY
for today's colour.

It seems that this entry will 'do' for
WATERY WEDNESDAY
too!


I have no photograph of myself on the navy-blue uniform I wore at sea when the weather turned cold. Here I am with the Ship's Nurse, who is wearing the very necessary swimming-cap. I am on duty, but there was also a very 'fetching' dress-uniform for evening-wear. Big sigh!

SINGING THE BLUES

When I was in High School my uniform was a terribly drab navy blue
And throwing it out for a pretty dress, well, that was a dream come true.
But things changed a lot when I went to sea and a uniform was required!
Suddenly navy became the shade that was all that my heart desired!
I'd a little peaked cap with a badge up front and epaulettes on each shoulder
And I felt so smart in my uniform: very mature, much older!
Older in quite the nicest way, a woman of the world I thought,
With high, high heels and a nipped-in waist, and a great deal of fun in port.
Now navy was fine for the colder climes, but not so good in the heat
And there came a time on every trip when the captain announced a treat.
'Whites will be worn tomorrow!' The message came over the air.
We suddenly knew we could blossom, for Whites were the thing to wear.
We still kept navy epaulettes, showing Union Castle Line,
But the Whites were so much classier when the weather was hot and fine.
And I always felt quite sorry when, on the homeward run,
The weather turned cool and wintry and clouds disguised the sun.
'All hands will wear navy tomorrow' the message was loud and clear
And you don't disobey ship's captains! You'd be thrown out on your ear!
But life was still fun in navy, both for officers and for crew
And I still remember them fondly, my days in navy-blue.
*
More romance at sea here:


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I salute you, ma'am! The problem with the U.S. Navy, is that you have to wear your blues or whites depending on season( we actually have a time code ), which can be horrific when in a warm port, in say....January. Panama is a good example. Too, for a second I thought you were going on about having a swim call, instead of the uniform change. I do miss it...

Hilda said...

There is something about navy uniforms that make them so attractive, and yours is no exception! A lovely, nostalgic choice for Watery Wednesday.

2sweetnsaxy said...

I've always liked those Navy whites. They're so clean and crisp and just fine looking! :-)

Kat said...

You must've looked a smart officer in uniform. Sad digital cameras weren't around in those days. Surely there must be some picture of you and ship. Do please publish that ( of course with a poem to go with it :-)))