Monday, September 17, 2012

Not Quite

GRANDMA'S GOULASH
asks us for a VERY short account

NOT QUITE!

Inventors, back in past,
Knew the era of slates could not last.
For up-dated learning
They all were yearning.
*
Iphones have them out-classed.
*
(140 characters)
--------------------------------------------------------------------


RAZZYBUNS
(A Recipe)

Quick as a flash and twice as yummy,
Begging to be put in your tummy!
Even non-cooks can excel at these
Knowing they'll always be sure to please.
Only a fork and a tray or slide
Needed to make this source of pride.
Nothing mechanical or too obscure
And yet the result will be great for sure.
Even an utter non-cook (like me) 
Can whip them up in time for tea!
*

First there's the greased oven-tray to fix.
Then flour and salt you must sift and mix,
Rub the butter in till it looks like crumbs,
(An expression used by lots of Mums!)
Into milk pour the egg, well-beaten.
(Not long now till the buns are eaten!)
Mix the lot! Squash up as dough
Then on to a floured board they go
As twelve little balls, hollow in the centre
For a spoonful of raspberry jam to enter.
Now seal them with the jam inside
( What a clever place for jam to hide!)
Glaze with milk then finally bake.
How easy is that for goodness sake!
In fifteen minutes you'll see them done
Then you can enjoy your own Razzybun.
 *

Ingredients 
2 cups self-raising flour.   60g butter.  ¼ cup of sugar.  1 egg.  4 tablespoons milk.  a little raspberry jam. 
Bake at 220 degrees
*
--------------------------------------------------------------------

PS
Greg's boys, Max and Harry, turned-up this-morning to show Grandpa and Grandma their  trophies. I was delighted to see 'Star Player' on the wording, until they told me 'Everyone gets that!' They're MY stars, anyway.






4 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

The recipe sounds wonderful, Brenda. Dick has a jar of Saskatoon Berry jam, which is more berries than jam, and might be good inside buns.
It's super for the boys to get trophies. But I wonder if calling everyone a "star player" is really fair to those who actually do excel?
Just wondering. I know "fair play for everyone" is the order of the day, and might have made my life better when I was young and inept. But I was never an athlete, and would have known "star" wasn't true, even on a trophy.
I hope you are well. Sorry I haven't been commenting much lately.
All the best, K

Unknown said...

Love your poem. It is very clever. I like the way you tied it in to modern tech.

Pat said...

iPads are shaped like slates, but that's where the similarity ends. I like your take on this week's pic--the constant progress of technology.

I LOVED your poetic recipe for Razzybuns. I'm going to make them, but first I need to figure out how much 60g of butter is and also to find self-raising flour.

Grandma`s Goulash said...

Those razzybuns sound yummy. My mother used to make something similar, but it was usually filled with a date mixture. I love new technology, but when it comes to food, old recipes rule!