Sunday, September 16, 2012

Beyond Words



Baby signing

JENNY MATLOCK 
asks us to use 
'It's only words and words are all I have....'
using only 100 extra words

BEYOND WORDS

Words are all I have? Not quite!
Look at my facial expression!
It's only when you see my face
You're getting the right impression.

Words alone can be misleading,
Whether said or printed
And it's my eyes you should be reading.
Words have only hinted.

Watch the deaf and see the signing......
There is not a word.
Movement's doing the defining,
Yet everything is 'heard.'

A kindly hand upon a shoulder
Is its own alphabet.
A smile delighting the beholder.....
A 'word' he wont forget.

Words are a constant living treasure
But on their own they do not measure.
(109 words)
*
-------------------------------------------------------------------------


FALSE MEMORY

The mist is cold, the world is grey;
To think we met on such a day!
*
Back then it seemed as though the sky
Were echoing the 'You-and-I'.
Surely the sky that day was blue!
Surely the mist was pearly dew!
Surely the golden garden seat
Was fashioned for we two to meet.
As I recall, the conversation
Reflected the joy of our situation!
I saw the love-birds in the trees!
I smelled the perfume on the breeze!
I saw the flowers! Who could forget
The glory of the day we met?
*
Of course, you laughed at me, in time....
' Nothing about it was sublime!
It was cold and damp and grey and bleak;
You and your hearts-and-flowers mystique!'
I heard you speaking mockingly;
I should have guessed you were mocking me.'
*
Now that you've gone I realise
We met under dark and lowering skies.
The mist was cold, the world was grey.
I remember it well, now you've gone away.
*
---------------------------------------------------
PS
Here, in the Antipodes, life is rather topsy-turvy. The locals don't realise it, but I, as an old immigrant, certainly do. Here is Spring! And yet minds are turned to Christmas! All the churches hold their Spring Fairs about now, and 'stocking fillers' are high on the must-have list! 
I took this photo at our local Spring Fair yesterday. Muddly, but fun.

5 comments:

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

Wonderful poems!

Sreeja said...

Words are a constant living treasure But on their own they do not measure.
this is so good.....lovely poems...

Unknown said...

That second piece beautifully illustrates the conception, life and death of a relationship in glory and glaring reality.

Herotomost said...

Both of these are really good emotional poems. The second one was super sad, but hits the reality nerve right on the head. Great job on both they were wonderful.

Anonymous said...

I really like your blog.. very nice colors & theme. Did you make this website
yourself or did you hire someone to do it for you? Plz respond as I'm looking to create my own blog and would like to know where u got this from. many thanks
Look at my web page ; nothing