Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hibernaculum


ABC WEDNESDAY
letter 'H'

HIBERNACULUM

The bear has a hibernaculum where it goes to hibernate;
It knows that winter's coming, though it doesn't know the date.
It finds it is getting drowsy as the days start getting short,
And 'I think I'll take a nap now' is the old bear's only thought.
It may find last year's hidey hole or one that's completely new,
And it curls up in a furry ball to do what all bears do.
Outside the wind may whistle, outside the snow may fall,
But the old bear snores contentedly; it doesn't mind at all.
I, too, have an hibernaculum and, in winter, I snooze in it;
It's under my cosy doona..........
I'm heading there this minute.
*
--------------------------------------------------------------

NOBEL EFFORT

I’d passed her on several consecutive days as I’d driven along in the car;
Well, dazzling blondes are easy to spot no matter how normal they are!
But it wasn’t her hair that attracted my gaze, but the way that she stood very still
Out there in a field, with the rain coming down and the wind whistling by, very shrill.
At last I could stand it no longer and so I slowed down the car and then called
‘May I ask what you’re doing out there all alone?’ I was really intrigued and enthralled.
‘I want to be famous’ I heard her say. Her answer was such a surprise!
‘I’ve heard if I’m out-standing in a field I’ll get a Nobel Prize.’

*

7 comments:

Roger Owen Green said...

it was interesting, but I find I need a nap...

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Madeleine Begun Kane said...

What fun verse!

PhenoMenon, ABCW Team said...

I would hibernate too but I always get hungry !! :)

PhenoMenon, ABCW Team

carol l mckenna said...

Lovely post with poetry and excellent photo ~ (A Creative Harbor)

Chubskulit Rose said...

If only we could take a nap like bears do!

Hands
Rose, ABC Wednesday Team

Lmkazmierczak said...

Loved your blond rhyme♫♪ Your H post was unbearably good♪

Ann said...

Love the hibernation poem--so cute.
Ann