Saturday, September 29, 2012

Magic




MAGIC

Do I believe in magic?'
Certainly I do!
For magic is all around us,
Constantly in view.
I don't believe in 'numbers';
Or even 'horoscopes'
And I think those that do believe 
Are merely gullible dopes.
I don't believe in 'tea-leaves' 
Or even 'rabbit's feet';
And I think that Fortune Tellers
Are inclined to lie and cheat.
But I do believe in the magic
Of the atom and the cell;
And I do believe it's magic
 When a pearl grows in a shell.
I think the fact that I'm alive
Is magic undeniable;
And I think of magic when the sun comes up,
Daily and so reliable.
What need is there of Fairies,
Or Angels, come to that,
When we are floating in a magic
That's like some Magnificat?
*
------------------------------------------------------------------

SHAME

You ask us to write about Shame
And my mind is blank!
Have I led a blameless
As opposed to a shameless,
Life?
No!
I can recall moments of 
Stupidity,
Brashness,
Thoughtlessness,
And, even, Unkindness.
But the memories
Are softened by time.
I'm sure I wasn't that bad after all!
At night I enjoy a dream-free sleep,
The sure sign of a clear conscience.
How is it then
That when I rest on the settee
For half an hour
In the afternoon,
And I doze,
Every stupid action surges back?
Frequently,
I'm jolted back to wakefulness
By the reliving
Of each miserable act!
I wake feeling I have only just committed it!
It is
 So fresh,
So bald,
So appalling,
So humiliating
That the thought kills all slumber.
*
Of course,
I can't recount my sins to you
Because I am wide awake.
Pity about that!
*

12 comments:

Jinksy said...

There's no doubt, Magic Rules OK!

Mimi Foxmorton said...

...and then there's......Magic! ;)

Light and lovely and deep and delightful! :D

Susan said...

Both of these poems are treats--very powerful writing. Reading the second with its cursed daybed nearly cancelled out the natural magic of the first, but I think that the two co-exist. Change where you nap, but keep where you feed on alertness and acknowledgement of mystery.

Unknown said...

Love that picture for the Magic poem! Love the words also:-)

Kerry O'Connor said...

I always enjoy your perfectly rhymed pieces, and the way that you have looked for the magic in everyday things is magical in itself.

Sherry Blue Sky said...

I love the bubble photo.....and so relate to the second poem - those moments leap out at me too. I can be heard quite frequently whispering Stupid Stupid Stupid to myself.......hee hee.

Susie Clevenger said...

Love this! Oh and I wish to not recount my sins either.

Kay L. Davies said...

Hard to say which I like best, Brenda. You handle every prompt so well...and so promptly. (Sorry about that. I don't know what made me do it.)
K

Maude Lynn said...

I love the lines about the pearl inside the shell.

Karen said...

I believe! How could I not after that well-reasoned and well-rhymed poem?

Fireblossom said...

I've never heard of that breed of cat! ;-)

Thanks for being a part of FBF.

Lolamouse said...

I agree-there's magic all around us if we just take the time to see it.