Monday, June 13, 2011

Position Vacant

dictator
POETRY POT LUCK

POSITION VACANT

The position of World Dictatorship
Has, somehow, given me the slip.
And that's a pity; I know I'm suited
To being rampant and jack-booted.
I know that I'd have fixed the roads,
Delivered benefits in loads,
And been a generous benefactor.
I would have had not one detractor!
My taxes, always low and fair
Would have given all an equal share.
Rights for women! Equal pay!
Maybe a three hour working day!
Retirement at the age of twenty!
A cornucopia of plenty!
All the citizens fat and wealthy....
(No, not fat, that's too unhealthy).
But everybody satisfied,
With nothing reasonable denied.
And all that I'd ask in exchange
Is nothing fabulous or strange...
Just utter grovelling subjugation
With lashings of 'All Hail!' acclamation;
Coins emblazoned with my features,
Not those of humble, lesser creatures.
And also a natty uniform
Suitably moulded to my form.
I'd have been a great success.
And the world wouldn't be in this awful mess!

*
-----------------------------------------------------


KEEPING AN EYE OUT!

'Don't look at him, Myrtle!' Sophie said;
'Don't even blink or turn your head!
Merely act as though unaware!
We don't know that he's got chips in there!
That blue packet may just hold soap!
But we mustn't give up hope!'
*
And so they preen by the riverside;
Dip and wallow, float and glide,
Giving little darting glances,
Pondering about their chances.
Trying hard to understand
What is there, in his right hand.
*
But should he start to eat some lunch
They'll squawk around him in a bunch!
They'll fly and flutter, fight and scream,
Each for himself. Forget the team!
*
Later, replete, they'll contemplate
'All things come to those who wait.'
*

3 comments:

bendedspoon said...

ahaha! I volunteer to be your campaign manager! :)

The 2 poems are both cool! So much wisdom from lovely creatures :)

Jingle said...

powerful expression delivered here.
Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

The second one is so cute, I can envision it perfectly

The first poem leaders always promise so much more than they give and any generosity received is at our own expense! Smart poems