Tuesday, June 21, 2011

March of Progress




BIFOCAL UNIVISION
http://bifocalunivision.blogspot.com/

MARCH OF PROGRESS

See the great triumphant arch,
Always on its worldwide march,
Across the lands both near and far,
Carrying the motor car,
The coach, the truck, the walking feet,
Hear the roar and hear the beat.
Over river, over road,
Undeterred by heavy load;
Over little country streams;
Augmenting great bridge-builders' dreams.
In church and mansion, palace, hall,
Arches arching over all.
The Bronze Age arch you see below,
Is one of the first, and still on show;
 Still used in Palestine today
As a normal public way!
Since then they've marched across the ages,
Punctuating all the stages.
See the great triumphal arch,
Always on its worldwide march.


File:Pont mycénien de Kazarma 2.jpg

*

-----------------------------------------------------

ME AND MY SHADOW
(To the old tune of the same name.)

Me and my shadow
Strolling by the lake one day.
Me and my shadow.
Which will be the one to break away?
Yes, I can see you there
We are a pair
If you were lost I know that I'd care.
Yes, me and my shadow
On a walking holiday.
*

3 comments:

Kathe W. said...

bridges are splendid-but highways?
I enjoyed both your poems!

Bubba said...

Nice job tying together old and new arches, Brenda.

Thanks for participating! :)

Evelyn said...

"Arches arching over all.
The Bronze Age arch"
Lovely
something about that phrase...