Sunday, June 19, 2011

What the Butler Saw



GRANDMA'S GOULASH
supplied the illustration

WHAT THE BUTLER SAW

There once was a Butler called Bertie
Who couldn't stand anything dirty.
If he saw a smudge
He'd be bearing a grudge
From lunch-time till after eight thirty.

He'd use his spy glass, ascertaining
Which small speck of dust was remaining,
His back grew quite bent
For wherever he went
He was always intent on complaining.
*

-------------------------------------------------------




THE CONSERVATORY
(A cinquain)

Conservatory.
Humid, enclosed, aromatic.
Sheltering, nurturing, propagating.
Reflecting the wider world.
Glass-house.

*

11 comments:

Helen said...

Very clever, I could just imagine a butler like that!

Kay L. Davies said...

Wonderful. I never had a butler, but my first husband was like that. He used to follow me around with the vacuum cleaner in case I dropped something.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel
PS: I had to look in your sidebar for your Grandma's Goulash submission, because the link led me to "opportunity knocks".

Kay L. Davies said...

Aha. I see you fixed it without my help.
— K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

jabblog said...

Excellent Succinctly Yours and I like your cinquain too - very clever.

Sonia Lal said...

sounds like a most unpleasant person!

Lisa Ricard Claro said...

The limerick rhythm is one I enjoy, and this is very entertaining. Nice!

Susan Fobes said...

I love limericks but they are hard to do well-but I see you have no problem with them! Very nice!

Grandma's Goulash said...

Your rhyme captured Bertie perfectly. I always think "The butler did it", but you've turned him into a dirt detective. Such fun!

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

You saw the same person I did. I need to remember to try a poem one of these times. Great job!

Pat said...

You are so clever, Brenda! I love your poem about about Butler Bertie and his OCD. Wish I had a butler!

Anyes said...

Such clever rhymes, how do you do it?