Friday, June 3, 2011

Garden Reverie


GARDEN REVERIE
I sit serenely in the sun
Hearing the conversations.
The ancient garden reveries
Of previous generations.
I hear them plan the garden beds
And complain about a frost;
I hear them brood about young seedlings,
Unaccountably lost.
And through their eyes I see the lawns
And hear them bemoan the labour
Which caused their's to be green and smooth,
The envy of many a neighbour.
And in my mind's eye flower beds
With endless colour spread
Under the broad and leafy trees
Which canopy overhead.
I see the gardeners bent and bowed
Struggling with the weeds......
Ah well, no more dreaming;
Where's that packet of seeds?
*

------------------------------------------------------

Sydney: Temporary Exhibition

PLEASE EXPLAIN!

Does the dog know something I don't know?
He's looking rather bored.
And eight naked ladies on the grass
Really shouldn't be ignored.
'What's their slimming secret?
The on-looking ladies muse.
And 'Some of that coconut-butter
Is something we could use.'
But my queries are more scientific.
What are they going to do?
Are they planning to launch that 'thingy'
Out on the ocean blue?
If so they should face the water,
Or they certainly wont succeed!
A bit of my nautical savvy
Is what they really need!
And what's inside their parcels?
I hope it's some decent clothes.
Or do they contain cut lunches
And drinks, do you suppose?
There's a whiff of Easter Island
About the whole affair.
*

I looked for them a week later
And they weren't even there!
They were off on the bounding ocean
Off on the endless sea,
Presumably enjoying
Their all-girl naked spree!
*

6 comments:

Mary said...

There is an artist, Charles Peterson, who paints present day scenes...but if one looks carefully, one can see in the picture the ghosts of people of long ago who lived there, played there, etc. I have one of his prints. Your poem made me think of this.

Maggie said...

Ha, loved them both. Perhaps the naked ladies are dancing in gardens. : )

Living In Williamsburg Virginia said...

Your rhyme and lens are amusing, as usual.

Darryl and Ruth : )

Ella said...

So well written; I love the way you wove it and your rhyming is so lyrical! Well Done~

Easter Island has all kinds of odd, yet magically finds!

Celestial Dreamz said...

loved both ... amazing :)

Mr. Walker said...

Brenda, I loved your garden reverie, how it started so magically and thoughtfully, and then ended so realistically, coming out of the reverie.

Richard