Friday, May 1, 2009

Guide Pride



GUIDE PRIDE

The Rocks are a part of Sydney that visitors adore.
They love to see the dwellings where the poor folk lived before.
In the early eighteen hundreds, when the city was quite young,
The low-paid and ex-convicts were on the lowest rung.
The rich lived on the grassy slopes looking out across the water
While the poor lived on the rocky shore, a most unpleasant quarter.
The houses at the bottom always suffered most of all,
For the sewage from the higher land had nowhere else to fall.
But now the tourists flock to see the nation's history.
Quaint houses on the narrow streets are quite a sight to see.
'Ghost Tours' are all the rage at night, with tourists looking fearful.
This Guide, though, as you must agree, is very bright and cheerful.
He was the guide who showed me round the last time I was there.
I thought this happy picture might be one that I could share.

2 comments:

Jo said...

What an excellent way to promote a tourist spot - through rhyme. I read once that nothing rhymes with the word: purple. Always wondered if this was true. When I did a writing course in 2005, I had many opportunities to write poems and I did, mostly Haiku Poems.

Kat said...

Guide Pride.... liked the title and poem.

World over, we'll find these people are so bright and cheerful.