Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Phantom!




Do folk still scare themselves to death,
Going rigid, holding breath,
When someone dresses all in white
Intent on scaring in the night?
'Wearing a sheet' was the thing to do,
Plus groaning or whispering 'Whoo-hoo!',
When I was young, with no T.V.
Or movies to ape reality.
But now our screens are full of creatures
With fiery fangs and ghastly features.
Grotesque eyes and out-sized noses,
Lolling tongues and  threatening poses!
Every film tries to out-do
The others in its gore and goo!
A modern child would likely boast
'You're just a person, not a ghost!'
Horror once was meek and mild,
Suiting the palate of a child.
Do modern 'beasts' invade the dreams
Of children, now, with shrieks and screams?
Give me the ancient bed-sheet game.
Digital 'ghosts' are not the same.
*
-----------------------------------------------------


THE GRIZZLED SPRID

The Grizzled Sprid
Did what he did,
And did it very well.
He chumfed his splang
And when it rang
He didn't like the smell.
'Oh wugdydoo!
It's in the stew!'
The Sprid was heard to cry.
'I'll use a flout
To get it out
And hang it up to dry.'
When it had smiffed
The Sprid was miffed
For it no longer fitted.
His trangles splayed
Though it was made
By Auntie Flub, who knitted.
The Grizzled Sprid
Then went and hid
Because he felt denuded.
'I'll crog my eye
Until I die
And I hope you all get snooded!'
'Oh Grizzled Sprid
Here is a scrid
To make you feel much better!'
He put it on
And then was gone
As fast as a squinching spletter!
*

13 comments:

Margaret's Miscellany said...

Perfect poems for P.

Sylvia K said...

Well, of course, I love your Phantom regardless of what letter today is, it is certainly perfect for the P Day!! And the perfect words to match How fun! Hope your week is going well, Brenda!!

Sylvia

Wanda said...

How clever to add your Halloween and ABC Wed together with a good spooky post!!

Penelope Notes said...

Brenda, your poetry is lyrical and shows a keen enjoyment of words. I so enjoyed the Phantom rhyme. I’ve been thinking exactly the same thing this Halloween as the one horror flick strives to outdo the other. I prefer ghosts in sheets and wonder who modeled the photo accompanying your poem.:)

photowannabe said...

Digital ghosts certainly aren't the same and much more ghastly to my mind. Give me a sheet too!

Kay L. Davies said...

That is just the cutest ghost I've ever seen, Brenda. Love those eyelashes!!
But your second poem, all Lewis Carrollish with a tiny hint somewhere of AA Milne (in my opinion), is delightful, too.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Roger Owen Green said...

I AM AFRAID!

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Gutsy Living said...

I'm so glad you found me and left a comment. I read your bio and thought, "You're a person I'd love to meet." Congratulations on staying "with it."

Francisca said...

It used to be so innocent... Or was it? P for Phantom is good, and so is (are!) your poem(s)...

Sara Katt said...

Meow! I really admire your poems.
I have even tried writing a poem or two, inspired by you.
You probably don't like the subject matter of my P-post. I admit that I hid my eye under a pillow during all the gooy scarey parts (which was pretty much most of these three films) I have picked out a couple of scenes that fit my mini-series about weddings in the cinema.
If you don't like my P-post, take a look at my M-post instead. Most people have liked my M-post.
Purrs,
Sara Cat

Sara Cat's abcWED-round-7-P

Sara Cat's abcWED-round-7-M

Linda said...

Ah—a frightening Phantom indeed. Wonderful selection.

Linda

ABC Wednesday Team

Tumblewords: said...

Perpetually scary phantoms... enjoyable poems, here.

Beverley Baird said...

Love your phantom photo! Not too scary.
Great poetry as well! Love reading your poems each week. Never know what you will surprise us with!
Take care.