Thursday, November 11, 2010

The Fly in the Ointment


MAGPIE TALES

 
THE FLY IN THE OINTMENT!

There is always a fly in the ointment
Even for a Monkey King!
Even if one's name's Sun Wukong
And one's always adventuring!
Seventy-two transformations
Are quite within ones power.
One can change from man to rat to toad
Easily, within the hour!
One can do the famous cloud somersaults,
Thousands of miles in one leap!
And change to a block of solid gold
As easily as to a sheep!
Every hair on one's body is magic!
Marvellous things to own!
Lots of little Monkey Kings
Emerge, each one a clone!
One can travel on a raft to distant lands,
And learn to speak like a man!
One would think that nothing
Could thwart a single plan!
*
But the fly in the ointment I speak of
Is the Monkey King's naughty tail!
Which he finds impossible to transform,
So some transformations fail!
Here he is as a human,
Dressed up in human clothes!
But the tail is always a monkey's
To spoil each and every pose!
*
Learn more in the old TV series 'The Monkey King'.

------------------------------------------------------------------


WILD IS THE WIND

Whisps of cloud stream across the sky
Ill-winds press me back.
Leaves and birds go whirling by
Down the dust-dazzled track.
*
If the wind should now decide,
Suddenly, to grow stronger,
*
Take me up for a crazy ride
Higher, wilder, longer!
Every cloud would buffet me
*
Whistling past my ears!
I'd be inside the cacophany,
New rain would be my tears!
Dangling in the sky,
You would see me fly.

23 comments:

Deborah said...

Wonderfully written as always, a pleasure to read.

Anonymous said...

I remember the old Monkey King on TV. It was one of the highlights of childrens viewing!

Enjoyed your take on the prompt

Enchanted Oak said...

Rollicking fun....I like the cloud leaps especially. Wondering in the modern world what could be done to disguise that tail.... Make it a belt? Turn it into a chic turban?

Doctor FTSE said...

Always good to read your poems! I missed "The Monkey King" but came across it whilst researching Hanuman for my own Magpie.
I hear "Sun Wukong" as more Korean than Chinese?

eyeography said...

Amazing work...
Wild is the Wind is superb.. :)

JJ said...

I am your newest follower from Jenny Matlock. My middle name is Helper. Please follow me as well. Thank you.

The Disconnected Writer
http://thedisconnectedwriter.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

"From man to rat to toad." Oh, so you was GWB's interview the other night!

Seriously, this was great fun, no holds barred, imagination run amuck. I thoroughly enjoyed it, Brenda.

Thanks, Amy BL

Unknown said...

Love that story. Great poem. Well written and entertaining.
QMM

Berowne said...

You chose the Chinese, I chose the Indian. Both good stories.

Teresa said...

How wonderful! You are always a favorite stop.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading this! Brought a smile to my face. :) Poor Monkey King, though, to have to live with that cursed tail! :(

Kay L. Davies said...

Beautifully written, Brenda. Great magpie and I love your wind poem, I can feel it happening.
-- K


Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Mrs.Trellis said...

Always enjoy your blogside halt. Very readable Magpie(s)

Kristen Haskell said...

I always enjoy your whimsy

Uma Anandane said...

an adventurous write..enjoyedd it:)

Tess Kincaid said...

I suppose if I had a tail, it would be a fly in the ointment, as well.

Helena said...

Can always rely on our 'rinkle' for a wonderful rhyme.....!

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

super creative.

Helen said...

These are both incredible ~ impossible to choose a favorite!

Tumblewords: said...

Nice poetry, as always!

Caty said...

I have learned so much about the monkey king today. Loved your poems as always :)

cosmos cami said...

Both poems, excellent!

I loved how your rhymed poetry reads so effortlessly.
I'm not quite so skilled so tend to avoid it entirely.

Thanks for posting.

Suz said...

This was a delight to read
poor monkey...