Thursday, November 4, 2010

Chanticleer!


MAGPIE TALES
http://magpietales.blogspot.com/


CHANTICLEER!

Oh Chantcleer! Oh Chanticleer!
Thy name means simply this....'sing clear'.
Thy penchant, with the sun in view,
Is to shout a 'Cockadoodle doo!'
When I hear thy raucous note
Emitting from thy feathery throat,
I don't consider thou art 'singing';
Thy screeching sets my poor ears ringing!
Now take the gentle little hen,
She simply 'Clucks' now and again.
Her peck-peck-peck on seed-sown ground
And her pleasant crooning sound
Are more appealing to my ears!
Thy racket brings me close to tears!
And all thy nonsense with thy comb!
Fanning it out above thy dome!
And all thy silly wattle-waving!
That's not what thy wives are craving!
Now I'm a rampant feminist;
(Though I never minded being kissed!).
To me thou art a typical male!
Making a noise! Fanning a tale!
Strutting about on two skinny legs!
But no good at all at laying eggs!
Oh Chantcleer! Oh Chanticleer!
Thou art even worse when you've had a beer!
*
-------------------------------------------------------------


BUSH THEATRE

'I'll capture the last of the sunset!'
I remember that was my intention.
But the light shone from windows behind me,
A fact no-one bothered to mention!
I'd expected just dark silhouettes,
But, instead, to my joy and delight,
The trees were dramatically featured,
All bathed in theatrical light.
As trees go I know they're quite average,
But that back-lighting shimmer and shine,
Gave these old trees their moment of glory
As they danced in a Chorus Line.
*

28 comments:

Kay L. Davies said...

That's telling old Chanticleer, Brenda. I'm still laughing at the thought of a drunken rooster.
I love your bush theatre photo. It's lovely.
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Kristen Haskell said...

Okay now I have read it all (not really hehe). That was superb! I love the male reference in most cases it is so true!!!!

Anonymous said...

Chanticleer is great. Lots of fun. Love how you blend "thy" and "thee" with unconventional humor. The final line is a kick, too.

Thanks! Found this at Poets United.

Peace, Amy Barlow Liberatore

Reflections said...

Love the last line... 'Thou art even worse when you've had a beer!' Can just hear those drunken sounds, nice write.

Anonymous said...

Loved these both! Comparing the rooster to a "typical male" -too funny.

The image was simply beautiful for the second poem! Loved the opening line on this. Wonderful!

Amanda Moore said...

I loved your Mag! I had such a hard time with the prompt this week and yours just flowed and so clever! I made ma laugh as well, great Mag!

eyeography said...

Nice poems...good use of beautiful words...

Enchanted Oak said...

Hi, RR. I just popped in from Theme Thursday's blog, never have participated and was looking for clues. Do I take the photo, as with Magpie, or do I not take the photo...just boring questions such as those. THEN you knocked me off my seat with this extraordinary rant against a rooster! If I were the kind of person who would do this sort of crap: LOL or LMAO--I would do that sort of crap. I fell in love with your rhyming talent. I'm a poet who NEVER rhymes, partly because there are so many wannabe rhymers out there. You are gifted. I'm not even going to discuss the Bush poem. Where is your Theme Thursday post? I'll go back to your profile and find it, I suspect. Check my blog sometime Thursday (I'm in California) if you want to meet my never-rhyming poetry. I also worked for a publisher and am a (step)grandmother of...let's see...eight. But you'll find my real credentials on the blog, thanks to Oscar Wilde.
Cheers!

Angie Muresan said...

He he, this one's such fun! A drunken rooster indeed. But I hear that is quite the norm in some parts of the world.

Anonymous said...

Written by someone who has obviously watched them strutting around like ... well like the useless specimens they are! Lovely take on the Magpie prompt

Other Mary said...

Oh that's excellent! Your rhyme and meter are 'spot on' and your comments on roosters (humans and aves)are great! Your poem made me 'cackle'!

Tess Kincaid said...

Clever. Very clever. My favorite line is "Now I'm a rampant feminist;
though I never minded being kissed!"

Chanticleer: An Orchestra of Voices said...

We are not drunken, but we do sing clear: www.chanticleer.org

Vibhuti Bhandarkar said...

You have me ROFLing with that Chanticleer!!! What a simile drawn between that fowl and man..Oh good lord!!! I cant believe it...hehehe..Superb!!!! :D

Friko said...

Is this poem dedicated to all males of any species?
Only asking . . .

Martin said...

Well observed.

christine said...

This rhyming poem was pure perfection I loved it, so clever!

Tumblewords: said...

The final line of Chanticleer is a hoot - funny, funny poem...

Arian Tejano said...

i love how you use the rooster as a metaphor for men.. well-put.

Coloring Outside the Lines said...

Brilliant- I love the rhythm! The photo is pretty darn cool too.

Teresa said...

Lovely poems. I must say though, most human men could learn about chivalry from roosters. Mine are quite the gentlemen to the ladies.

Unknown said...

Giggle. Really enjoyed this!

Lyn said...

This really has the quality of having been around for a long time..so good and fun to read!

Anonymous said...

*laughs* I saw Chanticleer too. I love your portrait and humour.

Mine is here http://marousia.wordpress.com/2010/11/06/for-magpie-tales-chanticleer/

Katherine said...

Wow this was very clever...I loved it & it has the same title as mine. Your magpie however is so much better!!
The first thing I thought of when I saw the rooster prompt was a children's movie my two older boys watched when they were little called Rock a Doodle and the roosters name was Chanitcleer!

Jingle said...

very playful words,
your skill is remarkable.

Caty said...

always fascinated with your talent. ...and I agree, the rooster knows no song; it's all just a chaotic amount of noise :)

Unknown said...

Loved 2 skinny legs and can't lay eggs. Love it.
QMM