Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Rupert Bear


ABC WEDNESDAY

RUPERT BEAR

What have they done to Rupert Bear?
He was once so debonaire!
Always tidy, always neat,
But very fast on his booted feet.
His body was that of a little boy;
He never seemed like your average toy.
His hands were not those of a bear;
And he had human clothes to wear.
A teddy-bear head on a human frame,
But quite believable all the same.
At least one child, and that was me,
Was a besotted devotee.
Words can't describe my happiness
When Daddy got the Daily Express,
And my special page was given to me
So that I could 'read' him avidly.
What adventures that Rupert had!
But his reincarnation makes me sad.
Oh dear! Oh dear! What is this?
He's had a metamorphosis!

They've turned him into a sort of blob.
The scarf remains; a jolly good job!
But he's lost that special Rupert look!
He's any old bear from any old book!
And if  he's 'cartooned' (perish the thought)
His adventures will be of a different sort.
He'll fight with demons and whizz through space
And become invisible! What a disgrace!
His adventures used to be
The sort that could happen to little me.
What have they done to Ruper Bear!
I'm the only person who seems to care!
*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------



BLACK.

Trees, when they shed their leaves
Create their own memorials.
No chiselled platitudes:
'Died, September 1950:
Resurrected April 1951'
No heavy angelic carving,
No stiff unbending stone trees,
Lowering over the dear departed.
No representations of leaves
Falling eternally
Like tears.
But a tracery of denuded branches,
Stark against the winter sky;
Arms raised gracefully,
Pleading for the sun.
*
So it is, sometimes,
With gutted buildings.
They accidentally invent
Memorials
More moving
Than any stone-smith could create.
The destruction of the Twin Towers
Called forth
Twisted metal
That was both elegant and archaic.
*
So it is with Brighton Pier.
Did I really walk its boards
When both of us were young?
Was there really colour, noise,
Funny hats, icecream,
Youth?
Brighton Pier has attained
A grace in death
That it never revealed in life.
The flames purified it
And turned it into
A work of art.
*

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Poor Rupert! I remember encountering Noddy when I lived in Bermuda for two seasons. And when they "spiffed up" Mickey Mouse, it was never the same.

Now I shall have to search the Web for "classic Rupert" (which is surely how those in Marketing refer to "old" Rupert!).

Also, loved the contrast and comparison of old leaves to old buildings... magical day you're having, my friend! Amy BL

Jenn Jilks said...

Loved Rupert.
Nothing like a resurrection!
Can't wait for winter!

Margaret Gosden said...

Black - a powerful picture of the pier and a wonderful poem to go with it. I wish I could have written that!

Leslie: said...

I fell in love with Rupert as a child and loved his stories. I bought a Rupert teddy bear while in England once and still have him to this day! :D

MorningAJ said...

I learned to read by starting on Rupert a long time ago. I care that they've "Disneyed" him.

Sylvia K said...

This was my first introduction to Rupert! What a delightful little guy and definitely a great subject for the R Day! Hope your week is going well, Brenda!

Sylvia

Kay L. Davies said...

Oh, Brenda, I remember Rupert. Now the same thing will happen to him that happened to Pooh. Is there no justice in this world?
-- K

Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

photowannabe said...

Poor Rupert. Its just not fair. Don't mess with tradition!!

VioletSky said...

Oh dear lord. Poor Rupert. What an indignity.

Anonymous said...

Welcome to our potluck week 10, a poetry award is assigned upon submission.
Old poems are welcome …hurry up, you have 12 hours to go before we are closed.
Hope to see you there. Cheers!
http://jinglepoetry.blogspot.com/2010/11/poetry-potluck-moods-feelings-and.html

love your take on p.

Roger Owen Green said...

I don't know Rupert, but I do know unwanted change in animation. Sad.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Anonymous said...

This is my introduction to Rupert Bear.. I've never heard of him, until now. Thanks for sharing.. =)

Oh.. and love the poem. =)

http://neneleah30.blogspot.com/2010/11/my-robinson.html

Nanka said...

Here is another besotted devotee of Rupert Bear!! Beautiful dedication with a childlike simplicity. Areal charming poem which I greatly enjoyed!!

Linda said...

Bravo for Rupert, Wonderful selection for R.

Linda

ABC WEdnesday Team

Beverley Baird said...

I missed out on Rupert - but love your glimpse of him!
Great poems you have shared this week!