Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Siren Song!


ABC WEDNESDAY
Letter 'S'

This is a parody from my melodrama 'The Golden Heart'. Seth has 'inherited' a gold-mine, plus the innocent daughter of the previous owner! He cannot, however, find the fabulous Golden Heart nugget, which he has promised to his wife, Queenie. Here, she nags him for it.

SIREN SONG!

Spoken

Well, have you got it Seth, my dear?
You promised you would bring it here!
No doubt the mine is ours by right,
But the value of the mine is slight.
 The value of the nugget, though,
Is worth more than all the gold below.
Show it! Show it! Right this minute!
You promised me that you would win it!
I can tear your life apart
If I don't get that Golden Heart!


Sung
(To the tune of The Dark-town Strutters' Ball')
Gonna get that treasure and you can't deny me!/ I've been dreaming of it oh so long!/ You know I'm right not wrong,/ And I'm aware of all that it can buy me./ I'm so sick of looking poor and shabby./ I am pretty and I must look smart,/ So, honey, please get on your bike!/ Get me what I really like!/ Get with it, baby, and get that Golden Heart!
You're a honey and you love me dearly./ Please donate a lot of currency!/ You know it's meant for me/ And I mean all I'm saying, so sincerely./ All I need is lots of golden bangles!/ With some help I'd be a work of art./  So, sweetie, please don't wait around;/ You've got to cover lots of ground!/ Get with it, baby, and get that Golden Heart!
*
------------------------------------------------------------------

SINGING THE BLUES.

My photographs are rather bland;
So much I do not understand.
Filters are a mystery
To a person such as me,
Unaccostomed to techniques
Used by you snap-happy freaks.
How I admire the end results;
How this techno-fool exults!
Filters in particular,
Show things not as they really are
But as they would like to be
If freed from drab reality.
Take snow..... it fell as I remember
Any time around December.
But it often lasted just one day
And then it grew a grubby grey!
Finally it turned to slush!
Far removed from a snowfall's hush.
Of course, I speak of English snow,
And I also speak of long ago.
Maybe, now, it's crisp and deep,
Lying whitely in a heap.
But, for me, this pictured scene
Comes from a time of might-have-been.
White, tinged with blue to make it whiter;
Tweaked to make it look much brighter.
Is that dishonesty? No way!
If this photo were coloured grey
Would it have that same appeal
And can reality be too real?
I see a camera filter's task,
Not as as some pretentious mask,
But rather as a painter's brush
Adding a depth or sheen or flush.
While you tweak with your glorious blue,
I just stand admiring you.
*

10 comments:

Rune Eide said...

I have a Golden Heart - I had transplanted in 2004 :-)

Kay L. Davies said...

Brenda -- what a super post. I love Darktown Strutters' Ball! And I can relate to your lament about filters, although you're miles ahead of me with photography.
I should have asked my dad for pointers in that field. He was quite talented. It's a year this week since he died, and he wasn't himself for the last few years, but I miss him a lot.
I know he seldom used filters unless he really wanted a certain effect, because he was an outdoor photographer, but he always had a clear filter on his camera to protect the lens. I think I should get one of those if I can.

Really enjoyed this post, but I'm guilty of rambling.
- K
Kay, Alberta, Canada
An Unfittie's Guide to Adventurous Travel

Sylvia K said...

Fun post for the S Day! You are such a terrific, prolific writer! I love it! Hope your week is going well, Brenda!

Sylvia

photowannabe said...

Its always such a pleasure coming here and enjoying your Wordsmithing.
Ah, for the Golden Heart.

MorningAJ said...

Golden words. Great S song.

Leslie: said...

Seriously Sensational and creative, too! :D

Oh gee! even the word verification has two S's in it! lol

EG CameraGirl said...

Oh my! Queenie is a nag! :)

I enjoyed reading about filters too. I think you have a great understanding of why photographers use filters.

Roger Owen Green said...

DARKTOWN STRUTTERS' BALL - fascinating historical piece of music.

ROG, ABC Wednesday team

Paula Scott Molokai Girl Studio said...

Lovely way to end your post. That blue image is mesmerizing.

Beverley Baird said...

Such lovely poems for the week! Quite a nice variety as well!