Saturday, November 6, 2010

Umbrella

UMBRELLA

There was a delightful young fella
Who had an enormous umbrella
If he met a nice girl
He would give it a twirl
And they'd both dance a wild tarantella!
*
See my blog of 11/1/10 to learn more about this alphabetical meme.
*
------------------------------------------------------------------------

And an old one for good measure.


UNIVERSE!


Try to imagine
A Universe that has an end.
I can't.
Try to imagine
A Universe that has no end.
I can't.
*
Travel in your mind
To the edge of a finite Universe.
Do you hit a wall?
Are we inside a sphere?
If you broke through the sphere
Would you find Nothingness?
What is Nothingness?
It is not Emptiness.
It is not Darkness.
It is not Blankness.
You cannot see it, or taste it, or smell it.
Because it is not there.
So how will you recognise it?
*
I cannot believe in it
Because I cannot imagine it.
*
Travel in your mind
Through the endlessness
Of an infinite Universe.
You think you understand
The words 'forever',
But can you really imagine
Passing planet upon planet
Out out out
For Ever?
*
I cannot believe in it
Because I cannot imagine it.
There are only two possibilities
And I can't believe in either of them!
*
These are the thoughts of a child.
I thought these thoughts
Lying in my bed
With the sheet neatly folded under my chin.
'I'll understand when I'm old'
I thought.
*
But now I am old and I still don't understand.
So I never will.
I am going to die frustrated.
*
But, by then, it wont matter.
*

16 comments:

Darlene said...

I think we have all had those thoughts about the Universe. It's too vast to be comprehended.

Winifred said...

Love the uumbrella poem.

Vinay Leo R. said...

ah..one of the many uses of a large umbrella? ;) nice one Rinkly :D

EG CameraGirl said...

The universe is too vast for me to understand! So instead I think I'll look for my umbrella so I can do the tarantella!

Unknown said...

I will be watchful for men with large umbrellas walking down the street.

Unknown said...

I'm a sucker for a good limerick! And your added bonus poem was a great touch! Well done!

Judie said...

Actually I like the first for the whimsy, and the second because it is thought-provoking!

Honey at 2805 said...

Clever limerick and interesting and thought provoking poem.

Unknown said...

Wonderful poems! The umbrella had me giggling :) I guess I should beware of any young fella who's twirling his umbrella at me!

Oh and that universe one! Wow, now you have me thinking deep thoughts....and right before bedtime!

Donnie said...

Great poems. the umbrella one was my favorite because it was short...lol..

Rocky Mountain Woman said...

Love the umbrella rhyme!

Well done....

Susan Anderson said...

Does every poet write that second poem at one time or another? I have one on the same subject.

I'd put it here if I could remember it. (I'm on vacation so I can't go look it up.) But it's definitely the same exploration.

=)

PS. Cute umbrella poem!

Vicki/Jake said...

Unique!

annies home said...

love the umbrella poem and picture

Jenny said...

Oh, you are soooo talented!

I loved both your poems and the umbrella one really made me laugh!

Limericks are so fun! And such implied naughtiness...or else it's just me being bad!

Thanks for an unbelievably fun stop on our little journey through Alphabe-Thursday's letter "U".

I really enjoyed this!

A+

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

two poems on U,
love the humor on the first one...

very well done.
:)