Sunday, July 25, 2010

Titles



WRITER'S ISLAND

We've been asked to use cassette cover titles in a piece of work. Our old vinyl records are in my study so I grabbed a Frank Sinatra! An Oldie but a Goldie!

TITLES

Under that OLD DEVIL MOON I am SWINGIN' DOWN THE LANE
Knowing you'll be waiting underneath 'our' tree again.
I THOUGHT ABOUT YOU all day long thinking 'LOVE IS HERE TO STAY'
For YOU'RE TOO MARVELLOUS FOR WORDS in every kind of way.
YOU BROUGHT A NEW KIND OF LOVE TO ME from the moment that we met.
I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN you know! You're not easy to forget.
YOU MAKE ME FEEL SO YOUNG, my love! I feel about sixteen!
I feel like MAKIN' WHOOPEE, if you know what I mean!
WE'LL BE TOGETHER AGAIN, sweetheart  and I know it will be quite soon!
IT HAPPENED IN MONTEREY last time! Remember that harvest moon?
YOU'RE GETTING TO BE A HABIT WITH ME! I hope I am with you!
Some people say that ANYTHING GOES but my love is strong and true!
Now I'm saying all these things to you! At last you're in my arms!
Tell me you feel the same, my sweet! While I'm holding all your charms!
I want to share my life with you so, baby, HOW ABOUT YOU? 
*
You can't mean what you're saying!
 'Go and paddle your own canoe!'
*

--------------------------------------------------------


WILD WEST
(An Acrostic)
Wagons rolling, single-filed.
In the West it's very wild.
Leading over the endless plain.
Dust! No sign of soothing rain!
*
Wheels are turning; men are steady.
Every gun is at the ready.
Shots are fired! The dead fall down!
The Sherrif's men have come to town.
*

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, my old favourite blue-eyed boy. I love the rhyme and rhythm in this: it must have taken a lot of working out.

Elizabeth said...

Thank you for this delightful stroll down memory lane. And I like the acrostic. Haven't done that in a while, need to go back and revisit.

Elizabeth

Mary said...

Great work. The Frank Sinatra songs really worked well. I think he would have enjoyed your poem!

http://inthecornerofmyeye.blogspot.com/2010/07/soolaimon.html

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done....thanks for sharing this.....I could of should of had old blues eyes in my poem also....butI had to leave out sooooooooooooo many of my favs.....and Frankie certainly is high up on my list...

keiths ramblings said...

Even the titles were better back then! I too went for something older, Nina Samone. I hope you enjoy mine as much as I enjoyed yours.

Mia said...

I'm kind of in love with this poem. And the Frank Sinatra songs worked perfectly :)