Wednesday, July 14, 2010

That Vulgar Waltz!


THREE WORD WEDNESDAY

The words we were asked to use are in blue.

THAT VULGAR WALTZ!

'So vulgar!' said Mama; 'So sinful and so shocking!
I simply turn my eyes away when two bodies are interlocking!.
A Cotillion and a Polonaise are graceful, charming dances;
And two young people can get to meet and exchange admiring glances.
But this music from Vienna seems to verge on the obscene!
I've been studying the dance-floor and oh what sights I've seen!
Bodies almost touching! Cheek very close to cheek!
I had to use my smelling-salts! I was too upset to speak!
I forbid you to waltz, Matilda, whoever may mark your card.
You'll thank me for it one day though now you may think me hard.'
*
Then you crossed the room towards me and you asked me for a waltz,
And, suddenly, I forgot  the dance was vulgar, rude and coarse!
You took me in your arms and then you whirled me round the floor,
And Mama and Papa and all the Aunts just weren't there any more!
Your hold was firm, yet gentle; you moved with style and grace.
Oh your military uniform! And oh your handsome face!
Thank you, thank you, Mr Strauss. All praise is due to you!
Your waltzes from Vienna have made all my dreams come true!
*
Below see an actual description from the era!

"We remarked with pain that the indecent foreign dance called the Waltz was introduced (we believe for the first time) at the English court on Friday last … it is quite sufficient to cast one’s eyes on the voluptuous intertwining of the limbs and close compressure on the bodies in their dance, to see that it is indeed far removed from the modest reserve which has hitherto been considered distinctive of English females. So long as this obscene display was confined to prostitutes and adulteresses, we did not think it deserving of notice; but now that it is attempted to be forced on the respectable classes of society by the civil examples of their superiors, we feel it a duty to warn every parent against exposing his daughter to so fatal a contagion."

-------------------------------------------------------------------


AZURE!

'Morning has broken' were ever there words
More perfectly chosen when speaking of birds!
This one I noticed so wildly rejoicing,
Thrilling to threads of its marvelous voicing!
Trilling to friends in the same state of rapture.
Just a fluttering creature, but oh what a capture!
The azure blue sky all around is so splendid!
The memory stays though the concert has ended.
Let us 'lift up our hearts' and also rejoice
That the glory of morning delivers a voice.
*

12 comments:

Jenn Jilks said...

Very nicely done! I am anxious to write some poems now, but have to wait until our house deal goes through. Can't publish them. It is breaking my heart to leave this place. But I must.

Lois Evensen said...

The beautiful Waltz. Ah, yes.

And, then, God forbid, came Elvis and the Beatles! What is this world coming to?????

Lovely post. I enjoy your blog.

Hugs,
Lois

gautami tripathy said...

Enjoyed it!

timely interventions

Jay R. Thurston said...

I don't dance but I do enjoy the watching the Viennese Waltz. Your descriptions are spot on. It's a fiery, passionate, and risque flavor of the waltz. Your character's reactions are well-delivered. And done to rhyming poetry no less! Excellent!

Dee Martin said...

your piece on the Waltz gave me a chuckle. Whatever would the folk of then think of what passes for dancing now?

I also loved Morning Has Broken - seems as though we were on a similar wavelength :)

Winifred said...

Funny to read this now. Wonder what they'd think about today's dancing.

Thom Gabrukiewicz said...

a very lyrical look at a dance. Nicely described.

Darlene said...

Along with the Tango, the Waltz is the most beautiful dance ever created.

We have evolved a long way from prudish attitudes, but, alas, the dancers are no longer in each other's arms. Great great great grandma would be happy now.

Thomma Lyn said...

What a delightful poem about waltzing. It made me want to waltz. I got a kick out of the description, and I also enjoyed your poem "Azure!"

Ramesh Sood said...

Liked it indeed...

Timothy P. Remp said...

Wonderful piece. I enjoyed your entire collage of work.

-Tim

Divaa D said...

awesome take on the prompt!

loved it!

http://bit.ly/9JWQ0M check mine!re