Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Red Hot Special!




RUBY TUESDAY
If I were a Millionaire........ I'm not, and more's the pity,
I wouldn't invest in buildings in the heart of any city.
I'd put millions into Hot Rocks, because I'm fascinated
By the endless possibilities that soon may be created.
*
If I were a Scientist.......... I'm not; I'm rather dim,
My chances of solving 'everything' would be extremely slim!
I'd concentrate on  Hot Rocks, because it seems to me
That Hot Rocks will enable us to prevent calamity.
*
Way, way down and down and down, and way, way down some more
Hot rocks can be located and the energy that they store.
In very simple terms, it seems that pipes can be injected,
Then water poured down to the rocks and, when it's hot, collected.
*
When the boiling water's up again it will convert to steam,
Creating the pristine energy that is everybody's dream.
If I were a Millionaire Scientist I'd give all I was worth
To the people who're Hot-Rocking, the saviours of the earth.
*
Geo-thermal plant.

Australian hot-spots.
*

----------------------------------------------------------------------

     Carol Ann Duffy



There has never been a female Poet Laureate before ! One up for the Suffragettes!


POET LAUREATE!



It only took four hundred years for a woman to become
Great Britain's Poet Laureate and not just someone's Mum!
Carol Ann Duffy I salute your title at this time!
Lesson: To get famous, don't write things in rhyme!

Talent

by Carol Ann Duffy

This is the word tightrope. Now imagine
a man, inching across it in the space
between our thoughts. He holds our breath.
There is no word net.
You want him to fall, don't you?
I guessed as much; he teeters but he succeeds.
The word applause is written all over him.
*
It's not in my nature to criticise!!!!
But here's little word to the wise.
' Though writing blank verse is not a crime,
This would have benefitted from rhyme!'
*
------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S.

Blake spent the day with us today. Here he is helping to dismantle our old hedge.

I can't wait for a new fence to go up!

I had a poetry 'gig'. Here are Pam and I having lunch afterwards. I sold seven books!
*

9 comments:

Margaret Gosden said...

Selling seven books, that's good for the economy and for you! Now, I wonder what you will buy with the proceeds! That is what helps to make the world go round - a small contribution you might think, but
if everyone can do that one way or another at this
time the future will not be so grim!

Margaret Gosden said...

PS I do think the illustration above shows a lot of
promise for an new energy break through. And
wouldn't it be great for Australia to implement that?

RAJI MUTHUKRISHNAN said...

Well done on the sales.

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

we have similar hot water system in Rotorua .

Spadoman said...

I love the poetry of the hot rocks. Geothermal energy has always been there, yet seems new to most. Maybe not enough money in it for developers since, like the sun or the wind, it is created from nature. and therefore free.
Congratulations on selling the books. I am honored to be reading here on your blog.

Peace.

Unknown said...

congratulations and well done.

Gemma Wiseman said...

Enjoyed your creative thoughts on hot rocks! And big congrats on your books!

nonizamboni said...

An envigorating post for me to read! Your new poet laureate!!!, Blake and those useful hot rocks.
p.s. I LIKE your rhyming a lot.

Francisca said...

Nothing dim-witted here! ;-)