Sunday, July 25, 2010

Celestial Raincoat!


                                                       Gerald Gee.

MELLOW YELLOW MONDAY

CELESTIAL RAINCOAT!

If only it could be
As easy as that for me!
If only I could shelter
From all life's helter-skelter
Caught in a golden beam,
A sort of holy dream!
If only a belief
Could bring such great relief!
If only He could prevent
Rain falling on my tent!
But, in the local papers,
You wouldn't believe the capers
'Got up to' by gentlemen of the cloth!
Sins of jealousy and sloth,
Avarice, gluttony and pride!.
Many ending up 'inside'!
This cherubic little man
Had better keep dry while he can!
All too soon a crash of thunder
Will dissipate the beam he's under!
Life without it will not be jolly!
He didn't think to bring a brolly!
*

-------------------------------------------------------------

 



A TREE IS A TREE

I have seen trees before
Many trees
Many times
Marching down highways, plumping up hills,
Straggling behind fence-posts,
Colouring-in far horizons.
I have relaxed in their shade,
Scuffled in their leaves,
Enjoyed their fruit.
I have looked up to them in awe in Canada,
Noted their military precision in Finland,
I have depleted my store of numbers
Counting the shades of green they offer.
I have swooned at the sight of an English chestnut,
Marvelled to see an African baobab,
Delighted in the silver-birch subtlety of the Australian gum.
Millions upon millions of trees.
But a tree was a tree was a tree.
Until the other day.......
When I walked through the bush, with two little boys,
And we gazed, and we chattered,
And we looked way, way up to the sky,
And then round and round at the rope-like vines,
And then squinted into the deeper bush
Where, surely, 'something' was moving!
We touched new green shoots with our tippy-fingers
And slashed away at the grass with our dry old sticks.
And, all the time, the water in the creek gurgled a tipsy song,
The ferns rode riotously up hill.
And bell-birds tinkled like an orchestra of timpani.
Memories-to-be indeed.
But for me, the fondest memory of the day will be the little hands.
Hands dragging, slashing, stroking, fondling, exploring;
But, most of all, holding mine.
*

11 comments:

Siromade said...

A beautiful photo, with a combination of a great poem. Hope you had a lovely weekend.

stan said...

haha...tt cartoon picture is funny.

out of the blue said...

great entry for mym. have a nice day.

Kim, USA said...

I like it's funny!

MYM~Duck

eileeninmd said...

Cute post for MYM! The poem is wonderful. Happy MYM!

marites1034 said...

i like the poem but i like the cartoon pic more:) happy MYM!

Sallie (FullTime-Life) said...

Ah yes Brenda! If only we could live our life under that yellow glow. Life instead is full of gray areas! The older I get, the more gray areas there are -- and not just on my head either ;>)

Liz said...

It's a beautiful image. Happy MYM!

Liz @ MLC

Francisca said...

Brenda, you put a smile on my face with that one. Not so funny what some of the men in cloth have been up to, but I'm sure many more can still walk in their golden beam.

I very much like your tree poem too.

Irene said...

Great post ... happy MYM!

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

love your tree poem. There are so much we can do with trees.