Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Red Shoes Ruse




RUBY TUESDAY
http://workofthepoet.blogspot.com/


RED SHOES RUSE.
Remember Moira Shearer? Remember 'The Red Shoes'?
(In an era when the main film followed the 'Pathe News'?)
I remember it clearly, because of vanity;
When I was young it mattered what people thought of me!
And I was a girl who wore spectacles! Could anything be worse?
'Boys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses.'....the message was very terse!
I was asked out to the cinema (by whom I can't recall);
I only know I felt that I was heading for a fall!
I'd never get a cuddle in the back row of 'the flicks',
No-one would ever 'insult' me or get up to 'funny tricks'!
I had a choice ...'see or be seen'; it wasn't hard to choose.
I'd go un-specked and trust to luck I could pick up some clues!
So I saw the film as a whirling mist, although the tunes were pretty.
And I never saw the 'shoes' at all, which was really quite a pity!
As to the reason for my ruse, 'he' can't have been too thrilling!
I can't recall 'fulfillment' even though I was so willing!
So I never saw Moira Shearer; I never saw her dance.
But I still equate 'The Red Shoes' with that magic word 'Romance'.
*

These days my vision's perfect. An operation saw to that.
As for the romance of 'red shoes', they're joggers and they're flat!
*
The silver screen again here:

21 comments:

Jane said...

Very clean trainers, thanks for sharing:)

Diane AZ said...

I was not familiar with Moira Shearer and The Red Shoes, but I looked it up and the story sounds fascinating. Too bad you didn't get to "see" it. I like the red joggers!

Jim said...

Hi Rinky B! Happy Ruby Tuesday!
I like YOUR red shoes, the others are a bit old fashioned for my taste. :-)
I'm headed over for your OSI a bit later, I saw your name on Mr. Linky.
..

maryt/theteach said...

Rinkly Rimes, an excellent poem (how did you rhyme it all?) and RED photos! Marvelous! Happy Ruby Tuesday! :)

Dr.John said...

Rhymes yes. Good poetry?

eileeninmd said...

What a nice poem, I love your red joggers too.

Marites said...

don't know about Moira:) but like you, I was bespectacled and got operated on and we heard the same thing about that kind of romance. I used to have those shoes and I want to have those again:)

Marice said...

ilove that chucks!

EG CameraGirl said...

I don't recall the movie but I do remember being a teen who wore glasses. I missed a lot because I was too vain to wear them!

Jama said...

Cool shoes! but I don't think I'm brave enough to wear a red shoe, most of mine are either in black or brown.

marian said...

what a fun post..love your joggers btw too!

Ralph said...

Lovely poetry! Of course, we all pay attention to red, a hue that compels, really forces us to pay attention. But as for shoes, I am at the age that comfort matters more than style, although I don't seem to have ruby footwear under the bed...

moosh said...

Lovedyour poem. Vanity gets us in the end. I like your choice of red shoes today. HRT

Chubskulit Rose said...

You're a very good poet Ms. Brenda!

Come and see what I have got in my page for Ruby Tuesday.N

Meikah said...

Red shoes are happy things for me. :)

My entry is here.

pinkyshelo said...

nice red shoes... though i haven't seen that movie about the red shoes..

•°°• IcyBC •°°• said...

Just a touch of red in your photo is beautiful..

Winifred said...

I did love that film but the ending was so sad.

Your red shoes are brilliant. Never heard them called joggers though. Is it a specific make or is it what they're for doing?

Raven said...

Those are my kind of shoes. I loved your poem. Made me smile and think of my own youth.

Auntie E said...

Love the red shoes. Happy RT

The Cunning Runt said...

Flat joggers, M'Dear,

Are far superior!