Thursday, October 1, 2009

In the Red!





IN THE RED!


It may look like a phone-box, an old-fashioned one at that,
But a very famous Gallery is what you're looking at.
The people of Settle, Yorkshire, wanted somewhere to show their art,
So they chose an unused phone-box to play a vital part.
Here is someone important, cutting the ribbon with flare
To show that the Settle Art Gallery is well and truly there!
The first exhibition was of postcards; something small seemed to fit the bill.
And the people rallied round and brought their artwork with a will.
'The Guinness Book of Records' signed them up post-haste;
For it was a record way to stop an icon going to waste.
The grand old telephone boxes have surely had their day,
But the 'Gallery on the Green' has used one in a perfect way.

The Gallery on the Green.
*
A telephone drama here:

4 comments:

geraldgee said...

Superb...but dont let the Turner Prize people anywhere near it.

Joy said...

That looks fun. My aunt lives in Settle so I was trying to work out where it is, I will have to quiz her.

Alan Burnett said...

They are an odd lot up there in Settle. I seem to recall that they have a cafe called Ye Olde Naked Man!

Hootin Anni said...

Excellent!!! I love this. Now, I must admit, I read Alan's comment and would like to know about the "Ye Olde Naked Man" too. LOLOL


My R T is seaworthy...OUCH! Click here